I know everyones done a sunset/rise, but...

Edit My Images
Yes
Here's my effort from this morning. Obviously not great, but how would you improve it?
Crop it (I tried to ensure the horizon was not in the centre)?
Also I think theres some colour noise across the centre (where the trees are) whats the best way to minimise this in CS2 please? :confused-

sunrise1.jpg

Rich :)

Should probably be in the Photo Sharing section if you're not happy with it yourself... anyway...

Composition is nice enough but it generally feels a little 'pale'. Maybe a slight contrast/curves adjustment would help it?

Also, it seems to be about half a degree off level? Dunno... maybe you weren't quite perpendicular to the hedge at the back of the field....

This does fall under the, probably was level but doesn't look it so correct it to visual horizontal rather than physical horizontal.

Just much too light Rick, as has been said - you're losing all that lovely gloaming atmosphere. Quick play with the levels...

sunrise1.jpg

I forgot to straighten it - it is slightly off - probably only around half a degree, but it's uncanny how our eyes pick up on it.

Its worth looking at desaturating the foreground too, doesn't have much colour but worth a try to see if its any better.

I like this shot. I have opened it in photoshop, created a copy layer and converted it to a multiply layer, ,set opacity at 55% and used gradient mask to stop effect working on foreground which was already OK.

Result is this:

sunrise1.jpg

Thanks guys.
GFK - I put it in this section (critique) because I wanted others to comment on it and tell me how to improve it. I thought that was what this section was for ('sharing' being for just 'showing' people your photos :) ).

I know what you mean about it looking 'pale', especially compared to CT's version. I did'nt actually want it any more saturated, because the scene actually looked like my photo, a bit muted. CT's saturated version is more like one of those really strong sunsets you get sometimes.

Anyhow, what about colour noise reduction (I think thats whats in my photo, though its hard to see at that small resolution). What photoshop technique should I use to correct this?

Thanks,
Rich

You need to look at nise reduction software such as Noiseware. They have a community edition which is slightly limited but does the job usually.

Rick

Sorry if I got the wrong end of the stick - common occurrance :banghead:

Not sure what "noise" you refer to but my EOS20D is especially bad at sunsets for this reason. To minimize it I open the raw file via PS plugin and fiddle about there (there is a noise correction slider there) and can usually get a result that I can better live with.

I know there are other RAW file processors that may be even better than the PS one but I have not used them.

Hope this of more help (even if i prefer a more staurated look :whistle2:)

Gary W

HimUpNorth & SammyC,
Thanks I opened the file using the PS Raw plugin, but this time looked on the 2nd tab (called 'Detail') and 'colour noise reduction' control was there :doh: .
Anyway, it did'nt really make that much difference in my case so I'll just have to be satisfied with it the way it is.
I do like your more saturated version aswell, especially as you've managed to keep more detail in the foreground field.
Cheers all,
Rich :thumb:

It varies alot person to person (like marmite) but if you've got a raw shot you can make a HDR (high dynamic range) photo my combining jpgs resulting from different settings in your raw processor

I can see what you were trying to achieve with this shot and CT's edit does alot to improve (as per usual ;) ) However, I feel compositionaly it's a little off kilter. It would sit easier on the eye if....

a) either the foreground or sky was more dominant. At the moment there is nothing to draw your eye into the shot and there is no foreground interest. Tipping the camera down a few degrees would've made the crops more a feature, as would lowering the viewpoint slightly to around the height of the heads of the crops. If you get an opportunity like this, it's worth shooting as many different angles as you can, it's all to easy to get caught in the trap of taking everything from head height.

b) Another option may have been to zoom into the shot more, distributing the balance so it's 1/3rd each sky/hedge/foreground.

c) finally, placing the sun slightly off centre may have added impact to the scene.

As I said above, when you have a subject that's as potentialy brilliant as this one, it may just be worth filling the memory card with different angles etc. You only need one shot to be perfect out of 250 odd!

As for noise, It's really not a problem in this shot, no worse than any grain you would've had from 100asa c41 film! If you want to minimise it in future, shoot at the lowest possible ISO setting, use a tripod and expose the shot so the histogram is pushed as far to the right as possible without blowing the highlights, you can then pull the exposure back in RAW without creating more noise. If you go the other way and expose with the histogram to the left, when you push the exposure in RAW by increasing the exposure, you'll also increase the noise.

I use a camera with a VERY noisy sensor, the setting I tend to use in NR is colour NR @ 100% and luminance at about 35-45%, sharpening turned off, then correct the sharpening through USM in CS2!

A bit long winded but I hope some of the above helps.

Above all else, break some rules and bear in mind this is only one persons opinion!

Thanks for your advice Gandhi :thumb: (...and don't worry about being "long-winded" - its usually my problem :D )
I appreciate the comments and suggestions and I've looked back through the pics I took and found a low level one (like you suggested).
I've also offset the sun to the right and tried to bring out more of the foreground detail without making it look too artificial (it was a frosty morn').
I know the sky probably isn't saturated enough for some, but I'm happier with it now.

...here goes

Sunrise_ver2.jpg

Cheers,
Rich (still learing and playing with photoshop !!)

Back