I need another lens

Name
Tim
Edit My Images
Yes
This I know because I was out on my first shoot with a model yesterday in rough cover and found it very tedious having to back up for full length shots. I was using 50mm on my 7D mk2, which I found to be sublime for shooting bursts while recording raw and jpeg at the same time.

Now, I'm looking at the Canon EF 24-70mm f4 L IS USM Lens, for head-shots and full length without having to kill the moment by doing a lens change.

Any reason I should look at something else first before I grab one?

Regards

Tim

I don't think there's a lot in it image quality wise but ive always favoured the 24-105 f4L because of its extra reach. I remember when I was originally looking and bearing in mind these were MkI variants the experts seemed to favour the 24-105 for image edge quality, but the 24-70 for slightly better clarity in the centre of the image. From personal experience I think they're much of a muchness but id still stick with the 24-105 as its just a bit handier at reducing lens change frequency.

Regards
Dave
www.landfox.co.uk

Thanks Dave, as you say there is not a lot in it. The macro feature on the 24-70 is also tempting but not a deal breaker. If the shorter lens is actually sharper in the center that is of interest as I'm using the 7D the edges are going to be cropped out until I get the 5DSR which I currently am gassing for.
I have a other zooms which cover 18mm to beyond 100mm but none of them will perform as sweetly as the 24-70 in that range. I'll take a look a little deeper at the 24-105 and seriously ask myself if I'm going to really need the extra reach for my application.
One could also say that when I'm eventually on a non crop sensor that the longer option might with hindsight if I go 24-70. Why can they not just make one option lol.

Thank you for being so quick replying, I'm pulling the trigger this afternoon so I can get one delivered tomorrow, I'll ponder some more, as there is still time.

Many thanks

Tim

If you're planning to change to a 5DSR, you might be best thinking about which of your existing lenses will work on a full-frame camera, and what you might need to buy to replace the 'mm range' of any lenses you currently own that don't fit an FF (if any)? If you want to concentrate on 'L' type lenses, you'll probably want an ultra wide (16-35mm L IS perhaps?), and a tele/super-tele (70-300mm or 70-200mm maybe?) . In which case, the 24-105 L Mk2 would probably give you the best overlap between these zoom ranges?

Ultimately, it depends what lenses you own/plan on owning, and the type of photography you do as to which you'd be best going for. However, add a 100mm or 150mm macro lens to the above 3 ranges mentioned, and you've probably got most eventualities covered in just 4 lenses?! :) Hope these thoughts are useful.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice GreenNinja67, that's one of the reasons going forward and now I'm buying L series lenses, but if there is something better I'll buy those instead. All fairly academic anyways as my regular use bodies are already better than I'll ever be, but it's nice to treat one's self from time to time.

Thanks Mr Badger, I already own some L series lenses, the latest addition, the 100-400 MK2 which I'm chuffed with. That's great advice for reducing the lenses I need to buy to cover most eventualities.

Yes your thoughts are useful and welcome.

Regards

Tim

Guy at work brought his 5DSR to work today with the Canon 28-300 L lens on it.

Stupidly heavy beast that is.

The 7Dmk2 I'm currently using is heavier than the 5DSR, I regularly wander with the 7Dmk2 with a 100-400 L mk2 attached and yes I've almost been castrated a few times while traversing obstacles, but that's what's required to get the shot.

Thank you.

Thanks to everyone for the input, I have ordered the 24-70mm L glass, for a couple of reasons which are important to me. Very small details but none the less small differences. I did consider both the 24-105 and a 17-70 range seriously. I don't want to go as short as 17 and distort the image in any easily noticeable way so I'd be unlikely to employ the shortest end of the lenses' range and if it's not there I'm not going to wander into that territory in the heat of a shoot. My main reason for this post was to see if anyone came back and said the 24-70 is not a good lens.

I have really listened to everything that has been offered here, and it wasn't a case of I'm buying the lens because I know best as I absolutely don't, hence the ask. Having looked through my reasonable array of lens options and knowing what I'm likely to get in future, the focal lengths are what I'll use. While shooting I can get closer to a model without them taking flight, it's just a right pain backing up more than I will at 24mm. This purchase is very much a tool for one job, if it does for other shooting that'll be a damn fine bonus.

I'm not a flippant person and I don't ask unless I am really interested in the opinions of others, I really do appreciate people taking time to add to this thread.

Many thanks

Tim .

The 17-70 was suggested if you were to keep to the crop sensoe cameras.

There would be no distortion on crop sensor with that lens.

The 7D crop camera is a keeper for sure but that's my rapid machine for things that don't hang around long, I can't justify a 1D body, I'm just using the 7Dmk2 now because I know it well and it gets me more usable shots than anything else I currently own. I'll acquire a non crop body in due course and that'll be my modelling shoot camera. I'll learn to get what I wan't from a 5DSR because I can come here and wave my white flag and I'll put in the hours with it. The new lens will be used on the new camera once I own it.

Many thanks again.

Tim

Back