I need some help about camera settings for speedlight or studio flash!

Name
kaan
Edit My Images
Yes
This is may first post in this group. I know this is little bit silly but this weekend I did reset my camera and I lost some settings unfortunately. I worked with studio flashes before and mostly I used same setup. Which is; 1/200s, f/4 and Iso 200 or 250. And it worked well until now. But now when I set it to these settings, I see nothing but darkness in the visor after this reset. It is natural to have this image when shooting without flash, because of course I cannot get an image in room light with these camera settings. But before, when the flash was connected to my camera, it was showing me which picture I would get after the flash was fired in the viewfinder. I'm asking as a beginner; what should I do?! My camera is Nikon z50 by the way. Thank you!

Welcome to TP, but to be honest I am struggling to understand your question - perhaps English is not your first language, or you have written it with the help of Chat GPT or similar?

1/200th is the maximum shutter speed at which your flash should synchronise, but it would do no harm to use 1/100th instead.

ISO 200 or 250 is a good starting point.

f/4 might be a reasonable starting point if your subject is distant or if you are using a very low-powered flash, and should produce some kind of image, but as correct exposure with flash depends on a combination of ISO setting, distance from flash to subject, lens aperture and flash output, it's very much a variable.

Are you seeing the studio strobe fire?
What studio flash are you using? It could give us some clue as to what might not be working properly.

I think this is an electronic viewfinder setting issue. There should be a way for it to show the image without the camera settings applied to it so you see things as you would looking through an optical viewfinder..

I know this is little bit silly
Not silly at all. It was a very common issue amongst my students when using flash for the first time.

You need to find the "Exposure Preview" setting. Most modern mirrorless cameras show you what the camera sees at whatever aperture/shutter/iso you set. When using flash, because the flash isn't "on", you see a black screen because at those settings there's not enough light to expose the frame. It's called 'exposure preview' on Fuji and Canon cameras. Not sure what it is on Nikons though. You'll need to turn it off, and remember to turn it back on again when you stop using studio lights. I have it as a quick menu item so it's easy to toggle as it's often buried in the menus.

Welcome to TP!

Last edited:
Not silly at all. It was a very common issue amongst my students when using flash for the first time.

You need to find the "Exposure Preview" setting. Most modern mirrorless cameras show you what the camera sees at whatever aperture/shutter/iso you set. When using flash, because the flash isn't "on", you see a black screen because at those settings there's not enough light to expose the frame. It's called 'exposure preview' on Fuji and Canon cameras. Not sure what it is on Nikons though. You'll need to turn it off, and remember to turn it back on again when you stop using studio lights. I have it as a quick menu item so it's easy to toggle as it's often buried in the menus.

Welcome to TP!
Thank y'all for your replies. Actually I found that settings in my camera and it's work like that. But my question is; before the reset action, when I turn it on my flashes or speedlight It automatically switched to that setting. I mean; when flash off viewfinder is dark, when flash is on vievfinder is showing every details. Something like that.

I think this is an electronic viewfinder setting issue. There should be a way for it to show the image without the camera settings applied to it so you see things as you would looking through an optical viewfinder..

Exactly this. From the post I am guessing that Kaan is using a mirrorless camera and the EVF 'preview' has been reset to On when for flash photography it should be OFF.

Exactly this. From the post I am guessing that Kaan is using a mirrorless camera and the EVF 'preview' has been reset to On when for flash photography it should be OFF.
Yes. Nikon z50 mirrorless camera. Thank you for response! I will use this way. Thank you again guys!

But my question is; before the reset action, when I turn it on my flashes or speedlight It automatically switched to that setting. I mean; when flash off viewfinder is dark, when flash is on vievfinder is showing every details.

What you're saying here sounds like the camera is automatically detecting a connected flash and switching the exposure preview on and off. On my Canon, I have to do it manually every time. Perhaps there's another setting on the Z50 like "auto" which can switch between the two?

What you're saying here sounds like the camera is automatically detecting a connected flash and switching the exposure preview on and off. On my Canon, I have to do it manually every time. Perhaps there's another setting on the Z50 like "auto" which can switch between the two?
I believe so. I will check tonight. if I can find a solution I will let you know.

Last edited:
I believe so. I will check tonight. if I can find a solution I will let you know.
What folks have described about the camera 'knowing' that a flash is turned on certainly would apply to Nikon-compatible flash units mounted on the hotshoe.
But you mentioned 'studio flash'...and a Nikon camera should not be able to detect an ordinary non-dedictated-to-Nikon studio flash unit connected via simple PC cord adapter mounted in the camera hotshoe. That is why I suggested that you specifically state WHICH FLASH you are using.

Last edited:
What folks have described about the camera 'knowing' that a flash is turned on certainly would apply to Nikon-compatible flash units mounted on the hotshoe.
But you mentioned 'studio flash'...and a Nikon camera should not be able to detect an ordinary non-dedictated-to-Nikon studio flash unit connected via simple PC cord adapter mounted in the camera hotshoe. That is why I suggested that you specifically state WHICH FLASH you are using.

Why would it not be able to detect a TTL trigger?

I have Flaspoint studio 400 and couple Godox tt600 speedlight. Also I'm using godox xpro ii trigger.

I have Flaspoint studio 400 and couple Godox tt600 speedlight. Also I'm using godox xpro ii trigger.
I believe the Godox XPro ii triggers look like a flashgun to the cameras electronics, so it should behave in exactly the same way it would if there was a flash in it's place.
(You can also get 'dumb' triggers, which just connect the the centre pin - and which the camera would be 'unaware' of).

I believe the Godox XPro ii triggers look like a flashgun to the cameras electronics, so it should behave in exactly the same way it would if there was a flash in it's place.
(You can also get 'dumb' triggers, which just connect the the centre pin - and which the camera would be 'unaware' of).
I have few different type trigger I will try all this weekend. Thank you!

Yes, a dedicated remote trigger will appear to be a dedicated hotshoe flash to the camera, detecting it to be 'on' via the supplementary connector pin in the hotfoot./shotshoe

Last edited:
Back