I said Young Man! *contains tutorial!

Name
Tomas
Edit My Images
No
Ok so I'm not pretty, I know, but never the less I hope this curls up a few smiles and sparks some ideas.
Basically I have been practising using rim lights for an upcoming shoot I have with a magazine, and guess what, the only test 'model'/ guinea pig I have is muggins- again!
I wanted to use two rim lights but this time make some flags so the flash wouldn't flare the lens.
The following is a very basic, very quick and dirty effort in explanation, I took a few shots of what I was doing to mail to some mates, I wasn't planning on posting any of this but what the hey!

Anyhoo, as I say, it was done quite quickly, I didn't even use my D3 to test these methods out, oh and my living room is small and the background sucks for photo's! That's why there's so much black.
On location I will use a fifth and possibly a sixth strobe to light the background and pick out some detail there.

1: Here's the finished image. Sexy baby disco baby hot and all that jazz.
2968520827_96798dd045_o.jpg

2: Here's a prelim test and as you can see alot of nasty flare coming from the rim-lights.
_TOM0379.jpg

3: Wallop a couple of flags onto both rim lights and hey presto! Flare gone.
_TOM0380.jpg

4: Quick and dirty lighting plan (DW Beauty Dish Tutorial click here!)
Daplanz.jpg

5: The extreme state of the art equiptment, an elastic strip sowed together securely and nice slab of black card. Ignore the velcro :wacky:.
_TOM0441.jpg

6: Walloped together nicely on a super clamp, you can fix this handy buddy pretty much anywhere, Vicars forehead, Altar, Wedding cake etc
_TOM0439.jpg

I hope you chuckled and maybe now want to try and have a go too (y)

All the best :wave:

T.

Last edited:
I'm not in a position to comment on your technique or how helpful this tutorial is to people.

But your humour and images/notation... :LOL:

No comment on the model. :LOL:

I think you pretty well cracked it with No3, except you're needing a bit of fill on the face Tomas for my tastes. You don't find that this rim lighting is just lighting a bit too much of the sides of the head though?

I'd have thought a single snoot behind the model would give more of that halo rim effect?

No comment on the model. :LOL:

I think you pretty well cracked it with No3, except you're needing a bit of fill on the face Tomas for my tastes. You don't find that this rim lighting is just lighting a bit too much of the sides of the head though?

I'd have thought a single snoot behind the model would give more of that halo rim effect?

Cheers CT!

Well the 'prelim no 2' and the 'flare gone no 3' pic are just focusing on rim lighting as a technique, they're not finished images like, just examples of flag off, flag on.

Snoots do work well but they don't seem to get the same effect. I admit the rims on the final test (number 1) are a touch hot, should of knocked them down a stop :nono: and it's not he very best example of succesful rim lighting, I'm still trying to nail the best method for the big job.
T.

Last edited:
LOL - this really made me laugh! :LOL: Loved the piccy and the diagram too - brightened up my morning a treat! (y)

The model is fricking awesome :LOL: LOVE the Village People pic :D

Good tutorial too! :)

Back