I sense a project coming on...

TheBigYin

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
No
Earlier today, a mate of mine called around with a suspicious looking package. It turned out to be a camera he'd picked up at the bottom of a box of "assorted tat" from a car boot sale on Wednesday. He'd bought the box for a old tin-plate car he'd spotted, paid his 50p and wandered off happy. Then got to the bottom of the box and found this...

all tucked up in one of those (n)ever-ready cases :D

He brought it to me "because you still use film camera's don't you - i'm happy with my digital, so it's no use to me, you may as well have it!"

First impressions are (mainly) favourable - the lightseals appear in pretty good nick (y) and the rangefinder is clear and pretty bright(y). It does appear to have had a battery go green and furry inside though - a quick look in there shows the battery terminals to be gunged up, and one of the cables has come adrift by corroding through:(. Still a simple soldering job though, but i'll probably replace the entire wire when I strip it down. And why will I be stripping it down? It's a canonet - the shutter is sticking every 5-6 clicks, and it really doesn't like shutter speeds below 1/60th:shake: It's just a little too unreliable at the moment to stick a film through it, so i'll be having a session with the screwdrivers over the next few weeks (whenever my hands are steady enough :LOL:)

Problem is, it handles so nicely, if I end up unable to fix it, I'd put money on my going out and buying a working one :LOL:

That's a smashing little camera. I wish you well in getting it repaired.

Nice looking camera would like to see your results I have a olympus 35 sp with a similar lens it feels nice but I carn't get a battery for it good luck with the refurb

The olympus uses a PX625 battery doesn't it? if so - these are a good idea - it's a converter ring that allows you to use cheapo zinc-air batteries in it - same voltage as original mercury cells, shorter life, but at 6 for £3 or so, they're not exactly punitive price. For the price, you get a brand new zinc-air cell and a re-useable adaptor ring. When the battery fails, press the cell out of the ring, and push in a fresh one.

I sold one of them on here recently, great lens and nice maximum aperture too. I'd try ticking over the shutter everyday for a while, it's no doubt not be used for ages and it might get it working properly eventually.

Oooooh what a lovely little camera. I've been thinking now, was that the last "cool" camera that Canon made?

Love the aperture ring too, a position for f2 and for f1.9... ohhh decisions decisions. :LOL::LOL:

I sold one of them on here recently, great lens and nice maximum aperture too. I'd try ticking over the shutter everyday for a while, it's no doubt not be used for ages and it might get it working properly eventually.

That's what I've been doing until 10 minutes ago - where it locked solid:bang::bang::bang: Worked 10 shutter/wind cycles on the trot, then clicked shutter, wound, pressed shutter - no click. made sure it was fully wound, tried again, no click. moved every ring on the lens to every setting, trying shutter in-between - no click. Arsebiscuits.

Looks like the screwdrivers then...:puke:

Well - I downloaded the nearest I could get to a service manual (it was for the Ver III, but seems close enough as I've opened things up) and started in there...

And I'll be putting things back together and having a "Shelf Camera" i think :( Someone's already been in there - obvious scratches etc on the screws etc, and fresh(ish) glue on the back of the leather trim. If it's been faffed with already (and not in a professional looking way) then I don't think i'll bother. Shame as I had already grown quite fond of it!

That's what I've been doing until 10 minutes ago - where it locked solid:bang::bang::bang: Worked 10 shutter/wind cycles on the trot, then clicked shutter, wound, pressed shutter - no click. made sure it was fully wound, tried again, no click. moved every ring on the lens to every setting, trying shutter in-between - no click. Arsebiscuits.

Looks like the screwdrivers then...:puke:

:(

Sorry to hear that, still at least you weren't taking pictures

Back