I want to start a new website.... help please

lukewoodford

FYI, I am Luke Woodford.....by Luke Woodford
Name
Luke Woodford
Edit My Images
No
Right,

I want to start a new website just for my street, landscapes and urbex stuff. I want to develop these areas further and don't want to clog up my main site which I want to use to just promote my weddings and portraits. Ill probably still have a gallery on there for my best stuff but im doing so much other stuff recently I feel I need it seperate. My website at the moment is http://www.lukewoodfordphotography.com

I do have a blog but its not enough.

In an ideal world this is what I want:

Its got to look good
have contact section
If I could have it a bit like a blog but upload a few photos at once and be able to write underneath them.
Have archives and browse. I want to be able to have different browse options like year, subject etc so its really easy for people to browse "London Street Photography in 2008" for example.
I also want people to be able to buy prints directly off the site. Not that people would really at the moment but I don't want to limit myself for the future.

If anyone could point me in the right direction that would be great. I know its possible but im hoping I won't have to have it custom made for £2000!

Any help would be much appreciated :)

Cheers,

Luke

Are you planning on doing this yourself? My basic website (www.cplsyx.com) took a couple of days for me to do, everything except the Lightbox viewer was coded from scratch. It's nothing fancy but it's just somewhere for me to stick my photos in a relatively presentable format!
It's already got a database backend so adding a blog section wouldn't be too tricky, in fact if you're happy to write your blog including the necessary HTML it should be very simple indeed! If you need any help, just drop me a line and I'll be happy to assist :)

Are you planning on doing this yourself? My basic website (www.cplsyx.com) took a couple of days for me to do, everything except the Lightbox viewer was coded from scratch. It's nothing fancy but it's just somewhere for me to stick my photos in a relatively presentable format!
It's already got a database backend so adding a blog section wouldn't be too tricky, in fact if you're happy to write your blog including the necessary HTML it should be very simple indeed! If you need any help, just drop me a line and I'll be happy to assist :)

Thanks for the reply, the thing is my main site does what yours does now. If I wanted another one of those I could just buy one. I really want a browse function so people could choose-

Street
Landscapes
Urbex

Then they could shoose the location:

London
Brighton
Eastbourne

Then the year (or all)

Designing websites and writing blogs isn't my strong point :)

How about you use Blogger, and then just add paypal 'buy' buttons to each post/image?

You can make blogger look pretty good. I've seen some of the websites people post on here for crit, and no offence to anyone, but Blogger can look far more professional.

Thanks for the reply, the thing is my main site does what yours does now.
Of that I'm aware, I was trying to highlight the fact that it doesn't take much to get a site like that up and running by yourself!
The best thing I find for web design is to see what's out there. Find a site structure or layout you like, then use that to create your own design. All you'd need is a few pages (with thumbnail-image links perhaps) that allow users to select area, then location, then year. If you like a particular style of blog, then emulate it with your own design. If you'd prefer a gallery with a separate blog that links into it, that's not much more difficult.

Nevertheless, if web coding really isn't your thing and you don't want to learn, you might be better off looking at finding (and maybe purchasing) something that suits!

You can make blogger look pretty good. I've seen some of the websites people post on here for crit, and no offence to anyone, but Blogger can look far more professional.

On the other hand, you CAN tightly integrate a blog (say Wordpress), AND a gallery that also sells images - to a static site design completley seamlessly. It just takes lots of skill and lots of patience! All without the adverts you get on the pre-templated blog and gallery sites

I would certainly go for something wordpress based, it is so flexible.

OP, I'm not sure about Wordpress, but if you wanted total control over organising and
categorising your photos, you may want to consider learning some PHP and MySQL.

Obviously, it would take some time and effort to learn and as a photographer, you may not have the resources (i.e. time) to devote to this. A web designer therefore may actually be more desirable.

OP, I'm not sure about Wordpress, but if you wanted total control over organising and
categorising your photos, you may want to consider learning some PHP and MySQL.

Obviously, it would take some time and effort to learn and as a photographer, you may not have the resources (i.e. time) to devote to this. A web designer therefore may actually be more desirable.

Back