I want to try the use of flash in bird photography

Name
Russell
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, I want to try the use of flash in bird photography so need to attach my flash unit above the lens NOT the camera body, looking on line all I can find are brackets way out of my price range for example the Wimberley F-9 Flash Bracket at $169 in the USA so what woukd cost in the UK? the other option I found was the Jobu Design Topmount Flash Bracket at $125 and £90 in the UK, again as I just want to try flash in bird photography a little to much to spend so anyone can advise an alternative to fit a flash over the lens on a gimbal head? Many Thanks. Russ.

WHY? (a) Because if you place the flash on camera even with a bracket you get the same effect as red eye when photographing people, (b) Because I want to try flash photography with birds as the subject. Thankyou.

Something like this any good?

I just mount it on the camera... either in the hotshoe on the body, or in a coldshoe on the lens hood (via TTL cable).
At the distances bird/wildlife photography normally involves, getting the flash 1ft away from the camera/lens makes about zero difference on the angle of incidence... and most brackets only move it a few inches higher. I do get eye-shine on occasion, but it is easily edited out.

Last edited:
If you simply want to try you can get a 'C' flash bracket and an arca swiss mount of amazon that can make an effective solution for not a lot of money.

Not used this myself but this product might be useful for what you are trying to accomplish:

https://www.speedgraphic.co.uk/diffusers_filters_etc/better_beamer__flash_extender/12837_p.html

Old review on Luminous Landscape:

https://luminous-landscape.com/better-beamer/
Hi, Thankyou, yes I have one of the Better Beamers on the way but as you can see I hope from the image from what I have read it seems it is a better option to have the flash as shown as if you place it on the camera hot shoe you tend to get a kind of red/steely eye effect in the birds and yes I no it can be removed withh PP but if I get the setup as shown no PP would be required on the eyes of the birds. Thankyou again. Flash Bracket on Lens.JPG

but if I get the setup as shown no PP would be required on the eyes of the birds.
That's just not true for the most part...
How much higher is the flash than it would be if it was in the hotshoe? Maybe 4 inches at the absolute most... that's just not enough to make any difference whatsoever at normal wildlife distances.

The main advantage of using a bracket like that is when working at very short distances, and without the flash zoomed/extended... that's because it helps prevent the long lens from casting a shadow. If you haven't encountered the shadow issue, then you don't need the bracket... we're talking about distances < ~15ft.

This picture of a Sora was taken using the $200 Wimberley FS-9 bracket; notice the exact same hard catchlight right in the middle of the eye... if the eye was going to generate eye-shine it would have (there's actually very little flash contribution which is more the key).

Screen Shot 2020-03-05 at 10.45.26 AM.jpg

That picture is from this article on making a DIY bracket for cheap. But I really wouldn't bother; I also have an expensive Kirk bracket somewhere that I should sell, because I never use it... but I'm not even sure where it is...

Last edited:
That's just not true for the most part...
How much higher is the flash than it would be if it was in the hotshoe? Maybe 4 inches at the absolute most... that's just not enough to make any difference whatsoever at normal wildlife distances.

The main advantage of using a bracket like that is when working at very short distances, and without the flash zoomed/extended... that's because it helps prevent the long lens from casting a shadow. If you haven't encountered the shadow issue, then you don't need the bracket... we're talking about distances < ~10ft.

This picture of a Sora was taken using the $200 Wimberley FS-9 bracket; notice the exact same hard catchlight right in the middle of the eye... if the eye was going to generate eye-shine it would have.

View attachment 270771

That picture is from this article on making a DIY bracket for cheap. But I really wouldn't bother; I also have an expensive Kirk bracket somewhere that I should sell, because I never use it... but I'm not even sure where it is...
Hi, Thankyou for the link. I have found a bracket only problem is it is or seems only to be available in the USA and again down to finance the postage is near the same as the cost of the bracket https://www.amazon.com/Desmond-Comp...00987STOK/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

This may be of interest
That's about the tallest I've seen. It's a Wimberley F-9 with an additional F-6 extension; about $250... and he's still getting as much eye shine as I do w/o using a bracket (I often get less or none, sometimes but rarely more).

I'd love to see side by side comparisons of bracket/hotshoe; but I never have... the realities of doing such shots is extremely challenging.

Screen Shot 2020-03-05 at 4.56.27 PM.jpg

One of mine w/ flash in the hotshoe (unedited raw file).

Screen Shot 2020-03-05 at 5.06.28 PM.jpg

My quetion is - why do you need to use a flash at all? - I NEVER use a flash on birds and I've been quite successful in my quest to shoot
WITHOUT a flash ( please have a look at my Flickr) :sony:

Les :)

My quetion is - why do you need to use a flash at all? - I NEVER use a flash on birds and I've been quite successful in my quest to shoot
WITHOUT a flash ( please have a look at my Flickr) :sony:

Les :)
I seldom use flash, but forest birds/woods warblers can be quite challenging to get any light on.

BTW, he's also wrong in saying that birds don't notice flash... I have more than a few photos of them reacting to the TTL pre-flash. It's like a flinch reaction and it's so fast you can't even see it. I've also had them fly off due to the flash (presumably; but they do that anyway).
With manual flash you won't get/record the reaction, and some birds truly do not seem to mind after the first flash or two. My best recommendation is to only use it for fill (low power) and only when you really need to.

Head feathers up due to the pre-flash

Ovenbird
by Steven Kersting, on Flickr

Ruby-throated Hummingbird
by Steven Kersting, on Flickr

Last edited:
Why not make your own? I received plans from a forum member and it cost less than £15. My DIY skills are zero but it has worked and been thrown around, bounced off rocks and it still functions. Some aluminium bar, 3 things off ebay, very simple. Thanks to JohnF for teh plans - If anyone is interested I will look out the plans (if I still have the email.
1583605704266.png

Russ check your email, let me know if it is not clear. Good luck

Back