Ian's Contact Sheets

T90 arrived yesterday so a test roll went through to test the camera and the 35-70 f/4 it came with.

2020-03-08-11-trix400-T90.jpg

It works! The photos are nothing, although I am thinking about a Keep It Simple project with really simple, clean and uncluttered subjects for which frame 10 might get used. Also quite like frame 9, mainly because I like clouds.... Frame 21 I also quite like, esp when cropped to 4:3 because there was way too much foreground. It's still pretty busy with all the undergrowth, but I do like the way the path curves.

2020-03-11-triX400-t90-22.jpg

I like the look of the chickens in frame #1. Frame #11 too, even if it is slightly drunk. :)

Heh. My back is shot to bits at the moment and I had to crouch to get rid of the cooker hood. When I crouch, I keep my left leg straight because of the thigh pain. It's amusingly skewed but a reminder that I'm far from perfect. The edited version is obviously corrected but I left the contact sheet as-is.

Washi F!

2020-03-22-20-washiF-T90.jpg

Shot at 320. Should have been 400 or maybe even 640. This is a 100 ISO film on the box! Lomig says don't put this in an automatic camera, so as a Brit-Who-Knows-Best I put it in my T90. It didn't rewind properly and I reckon I lost 4 frames, plus the first three on this roll fishing the film out. (I scanned them in backwards so the first frame is actually the last)

A couple of these frames have promise but will need a better scan on the 8100 and probably some further work in LR. My zooming train in #2, the fallen tree in #9, Chica (#18), the aquaduct (#20) and the strong tree in #23 all appear to have merit.

I love the look of this film but damn I still need to work to get the light right with it.

2020-03-22-washif-t90-09.jpg
And another. Not quite good enough to print, but getting there...
2020-03-22-washif-t90-04.jpg

I hope that this so-called X-Ray film is more effective than the X-Ray Specs I once ordered from an advert in a comic when I was a child. Those promised the ability to see the bones in my hand, or women's underwear through their clothes, but in reality just gave a fuzzy double-image of things I could already see. It was the worst week's pocket money I ever spent. Well, apart from those Sea Monkeys I bought...

I hope that this so-called X-Ray film is more effective than the X-Ray Specs I once ordered

I can't see through people's clothes with it. I should ask for a refund :)

Frame 16 looks interesting but I do particularly like the first larger photo (23?) above, the stronger foreground detail contrasts well against the washed out background for me.

2020-03-29-20-fp4-645n.jpg

Basically a rushed film for "Wild". Cat portraits on the 645 and FP4, but cats aren't wild. Not these ones anyway. The ivy on the fence didn't really work as I was dancing around the same location for ages just to take 1 I didn't like. The mushroom was a good idea, but it was also set up and I'd feel like I was cheating to enter it.

Add to that my stupidity in putting 300ml of developer in a tank that needed 500ml FOR A SECOND TIME. I shot the roll at 200 and I discovered after 4 minutes what I'd done. Half a capful of HC-110 and a "generous splash" of cold water from the tap later it came out all right in the end save for the stripe. Damn my 645 and stripes....

Still. Got a nice one for the wall. Just need to pick between these two.

2020-03-29-fp4-645n-09.jpg
2020-03-29-fp4-645n-08.jpg

Pentax 645n again, this time with some Rollei Crossbird 200. At £7 a roll it was worth a punt to see how it stacks up to my favourite Provia 100 as a slide alternative.

The Internet said that you'd get kookie colours if you processed it in C41 but I wanted a straightforward look. I'm struggling to get colours looking nice with film at the moment. And as this roll shows I'm all over the show.

2020-04-06-crossbird-645n.jpg

It's a big foggy in poor light and clearly the hood I've got with the 45-85 isn't meant to be used at 45mm... The negs aren't as nice as my Provia or Velvia stuff, and despite this being scanned as a straight transparency the colours are all over the shop. The greens in the first 7 frames are downright weird.

So this'll get chalked up as a "nope" from me. It gives the "film" look, but sometimes I just want what I see... I might try just one more roll if AW get it in stock and shoot it in bright sun because it seems far less bad in that situation. Negates the flexibility of ISO 200 a bit though...

Anyway. Mrs. T was 50. Still goofing off trying to pretend she's 16...

2020-04-06-crossbird-645n-16.jpg

View attachment 273592

Basically a rushed film for "Wild". Cat portraits on the 645 and FP4, but cats aren't wild. Not these ones anyway. The ivy on the fence didn't really work as I was dancing around the same location for ages just to take 1 I didn't like. The mushroom was a good idea, but it was also set up and I'd feel like I was cheating to enter it.

Add to that my stupidity in putting 300ml of developer in a tank that needed 500ml FOR A SECOND TIME. I shot the roll at 200 and I discovered after 4 minutes what I'd done. Half a capful of HC-110 and a "generous splash" of cold water from the tap later it came out all right in the end save for the stripe. Damn my 645 and stripes....

Still. Got a nice one for the wall. Just need to pick between these two.

View attachment 273593
View attachment 273594

Even if you didn't get a comp entry, you got some nice pics of your cats, so no harm done. :)

Pentax 645n again, this time with some Rollei Crossbird 200. At £7 a roll it was worth a punt to see how it stacks up to my favourite Provia 100 as a slide alternative.

The Internet said that you'd get kookie colours if you processed it in C41 but I wanted a straightforward look. I'm struggling to get colours looking nice with film at the moment. And as this roll shows I'm all over the show.

View attachment 274376

It's a big foggy in poor light and clearly the hood I've got with the 45-85 isn't meant to be used at 45mm... The negs aren't as nice as my Provia or Velvia stuff, and despite this being scanned as a straight transparency the colours are all over the shop. The greens in the first 7 frames are downright weird.

So this'll get chalked up as a "nope" from me. It gives the "film" look, but sometimes I just want what I see... I might try just one more roll if AW get it in stock and shoot it in bright sun because it seems far less bad in that situation. Negates the flexibility of ISO 200 a bit though...

Anyway. Mrs. T was 50. Still goofing off trying to pretend she's 16...

View attachment 274377

I've never shot Crossbird, but I managed to get some weird colours from the roll of Ektachrome I shot last summer. The greens in that looked strange too - some having a distinct blue cast. It seemed to differ throughout the roll too: some shots looked great, but others looked 'off'.

No contact sheet today. Just dissappointment.

IMG_1325.jpg

Well, the dead Washi film wasn't the Chemistry. I suspect it just wasn't wound on.

First up is a roll of Portra 400 that went through my super cool looking Olympus IS-3000 Superzoom. I decided to try and see if there was any legs in actually using colour as a way to tie things together in an image. Started out with roadsigns and stuff driving past. I could have sworn I took a photo of a blue van drving past a 1 way sign, but it wasn't on the sheet.

I quite like the flexibility of the camera, even if it looks stupid as hell.

2020-04-06-portra400-olympusi3000.jpg

Nothing on the contact sheet worth scanning to a better rez.

Then, with all this sunshine, I took a couple of rolls of Konca 750 out of the freezer. This shot at ISO 25 with a red filter on my R3M. The Voigtlander 40mm Nokton has a max aperture of f/1.2 and pretty much all of this roll was shot in bright sunlight, handheld and sub f/4. No IR markings on the lens sadly so focussed is guessed. I do quite like the effect though.
With hindsight, I should have probably shot this at 50 is as it's a bit over-exposed. The Plustek saved the day for the larger scans though.

2020-04-15-Konica750-r3m.jpg

The line is the scanner. Not sure what the problem was/is with it and the contact sheet scans are very bright, but they reflect the negative I think. Just two frames I'm really happy with which is good for me. Will probably do a metallic print of one of them.

2020-04-15-konica750-r3m-07.jpg

2020-04-15-konica750-r3m-04.jpg
The detail on teh shot above is really interesting. It was about f/2 and I focussed on the lower branches, but the shallow depth of field has given lots of blurring which I quite like.

Last edited:
T90 arrived yesterday so a test roll went through to test the camera and the 35-70 f/4 it came with.

View attachment 271554

It works! The photos are nothing, although I am thinking about a Keep It Simple project with really simple, clean and uncluttered subjects for which frame 10 might get used. Also quite like frame 9, mainly because I like clouds.... Frame 21 I also quite like, esp when cropped to 4:3 because there was way too much foreground. It's still pretty busy with all the undergrowth, but I do like the way the path curves.

View attachment 271562

With everything going on I'd missed that you'd bought a T90. That FD 35-70 f/4 is a cracking little lens; sharp throughout the range at pretty much any aperture. The bearing pads on the zoom mechanism do tend to develop a bit of play with use though, but it's got to be superb value for the £40 or so they tend to go for in full working order. I'm sure you'll love it. Quite a handy zoom range too. (y)

2020-04-15-konica750-r3m-07-jpg.275424

That is the one for me, I really like the line formed by the gap between the leaves and branches

So Roger Lowe (http://www.rogerlowe.co.uk/) has got a little comp going for a black and white shot taken from inside your house. It's just for fun really, but got me thinking. I could do that. I mean, I'm lucky enough to have a house. And I'm stuck in it.

So in typical "not really thinking it through" fashion, I broke out the Tomiyama.

2020-04-30-panfplus-tomiyama.jpg

This is actually in reverse time wise with frame 1 being the 4th shot on the sheet above.

I started in the kitchen because I really liked how the light plays across from the left hand window. The Tomiyama doesn't have the capability to focus other than with a ridiculous knob on the front that has 4 settings. 90cm, 2m, 3m and infinity. Because I wasn't thinking and because I pretty much shoot this camera on infinity, I just took the shot. Everything is blurred. Also, I over exposed and the shadow definition is lost. (f22, 4sec with 6sec guessed due to reciprocity). Strike 1.

Still not thinking, I went into the lounge and did the sofa. I really quite liked the framing on this, and the viewfinder is surprisingly accurate. However leaving it on infinity has resulted in a blurred image. Exposure pretty good. Strike 2.

Frame 3 was the cats on the bed. They're a regular feature in the afternoons and this time I remembered the focus thing. Carefully setting the focus to 2m, has resulted in a fab sharp image. Unfortunately I stood in front of the lens. Idiot. I mean really. How f'ing long have I been doing this...? Strike 3.

Frame 4 thankfully it all came together as I went back downstairs to correct my out of focus 1st shot. Bit more of a careful composition this time (I wanted the wondow in the shot) and levelling by eye instead of the spirit level on the camera (we have a wonky kitchen!!)

It's not a very exciting shot, I've got to admit it, but for me, it's spot on. It's caught the light, the Pan F has really dealt beautifully with the tones, and it's super super sharp. I might even print it out!
I doubt it'll get anywhere with the compe but it got me thinking and walking around the house looking at pano compositions. Mrs T thought I was being an idiot and I'm sure anyone watching would have wondered what the hell was going on, but it was fun.

And Pan F Plus. Lovely film.
2020-04-30-PanFPlus-Tommy-01.jpg

ANd a close up of the ketchup to show the detail...
Capture.JPG

The light in your kitchen is very good and it makes for a good domestic scene, there is something "pending" about it, it is waiting for people, or is it just after people have left? It really suits the pano IMHO and the detail on the ketchup! where's the grain :)

All the shots look pretty nice in the thumbnail versions (where the soft-focus isn't noticeable). The elbow in frame made me laugh, so bonus points for that. :D

The final kitchen shot is really nice. There's so much detail in there, lots of little stories: Why is the ketchup out? Does it alway stay there? Look at all those knives!; The food-mixer and cookbooks; the note on the cupboard door etc.

It looks like a fun camera to use so I looked on eBay. After wiping up the coffee I'd spat onto my desk I decided, should I want to make super wide photos, to just use "Panorama Mode" on my Pentax Espio compact instead. :D

There's so much detail in there, lots of little stories:

That's what I like about it too. Can read the note. My wife and I argue about the knives a lot. She wants new ones, I like sharpening them. Married life at its finest.

2020-05-02-doublex-canonf1n.jpg

Double-X test roll to make sure I had no light leaks whilst loading all the cans. This was the end of the roll, hence the 42 frames!

It was a bit unsatisfactory to be honest. Cat portraits proving I cannot close focus portraits accurately. Not sure whether I need a different focussing screen, but I thought they were sharp and they aren't. It's easy to tell how short/long I went because cat fur really shows where you *did* end up focussing.

The landscape stuff is quite nice. All shot with a yellow filter, but I don't think this is Double-X's forte.

At least I didn't screw up the bulk load!

2020-05-02-DoubleX-CanonF1-02.jpg
2020-05-02-DoubleX-CanonF1-03.jpg

Last edited:
Washi-Z pulled to 200. 6 min in HC-110(b).

I think I mentioned this before but it needs proper blue skies to get the IR look. Still works nice with the greens. I think I got a conservative roll this time though because frame 24 was half cut off and the leader wasn't that long.

2020-05-08-washiz-bessar3m.jpg

A couple ended up in the Show Us... IR thread. I like this film, especially in bright sun.

2020-05-07-WashiZ-R3M-08.jpg

The shots in the contact sheet look quite bright, although the larger image looks ok. Are you having to tone them down in PP, or do they look good off the bat?

They all need a bit of pp after a scan. The contact sheet is the straight up un-pp'd version of everything. The negs look fine, and typically my V550 scans them much darker than the 8100 so I don't know what's going on there, but to be honest, scanning is the least favourite part of film photography for me so I haven't invested the time/effort to find out.

Aaaand more failure... This is from my new project "Censored" in which I deliberately and cleverly expose a small rectangle in the centre of the image. Apart from when I don't.

2020-05-11-trix800-insta500.jpg

Kodak Instamatic 500 with Tri-X shot at 800 and a recycled cannister. Apparently you have to fail in oder to learn. Apparently I'm learning a *lot* at the moment.

2020-05-11-trix800-insta500-06.jpg

Kodak Gold 200, Canon T90, Test run of the 28mm f/2.8 FD

2020-05-14-gold200-t90-2.jpg

Really pleased with the results here. I have had a lot of trouble getting colour right, both in finding a colour film I like and then getting the scan correct. Kodak Gold 200 takes me back to being 17 again.

Focus seems to be hit & miss. Monkey was nailed, the Kodak film can and the eggs were missed.

Still. I got the cover image for my new zine, so I'm happy. Filmdev FTW!

000081750031.jpg

And I got my E6 back from AG!

1 roll of Velvia 50 (and another Ultramax 400 which is in the scanner)

2020-05-15-velvia50-645n.jpg

I'm really pleased with this as I've been able to keep almost half of them!

My wife is finally (after 9 years!!) starting to get back on her feet again and our daily walk is therapy as much as it is covid related. We're all quite insignificant really.

2020-05-15-Provia100-645n-07.jpg

I got a pylon shot too!

When I saw that the Mystery Moth was going to be blurry and realised that I'm always going to struggle with Lepidoptera, I settled for having a go at some wide open cat portraits with the 645n and some HP5 Plus.

2020-05-16-hp5plus-p645n.jpg

Crow T Cat is tricky to photo as the light really has to be catching his eyes. Caught it in 5 & 6 but the patch of light on his nose spoiled it. It wasn't terrible with a bit of judicious pp, but it was turd polishing time really.

11 was about the best of the bunch, and the focal length and aperture really pulled Tom's eyes out of the frame. 9 & 13 have also come out ok with 13 being paritcularly sharp and crisp. With hindsight, I should have shot this at 800 as some of these shots were 1/30 which at 150mm isn't ideal.

Everyone loves cats.

2020-05-16-hp5plus-645n-09.jpg

Kodak Gold 200, Canon T90, Test run of the 28mm f/2.8 FD

View attachment 279012

Really pleased with the results here. I have had a lot of trouble getting colour right, both in finding a colour film I like and then getting the scan correct. Kodak Gold 200 takes me back to being 17 again.

Focus seems to be hit & miss. Monkey was nailed, the Kodak film can and the eggs were missed.

Still. I got the cover image for my new zine, so I'm happy. Filmdev FTW!

View attachment 279013

I shot my (believe it or not) very first roll of Kodak Gold recently. I'm very happy with the results. A lot of the photos are a bit naff (mostly shot in my back garden at Easter weekend), but the tones are lovely. & & 13 loom nice - appealing to my Stephen Shore / Bill Eggleston tastes. :)

And I got my E6 back from AG!

1 roll of Velvia 50 (and another Ultramax 400 which is in the scanner)

View attachment 279164

I'm really pleased with this as I've been able to keep almost half of them!

My wife is finally (after 9 years!!) starting to get back on her feet again and our daily walk is therapy as much as it is covid related. We're all quite insignificant really.

View attachment 279165

I got a pylon shot too!

I've got a roll of 135 Velvia 50 sat in my fridge. It's been there since December 2018! Because it was a bit pricey I'm kinda saving it for the right occasion, but given the lockdown and lack of colourful events (I was thinking of a cheap'n'cheerful seaside day trip as a good use) it'll either stay there longer or I'll have to use it on some other subject matter.

When I saw that the Mystery Moth was going to be blurry and realised that I'm always going to struggle with Lepidoptera, I settled for having a go at some wide open cat portraits with the 645n and some HP5 Plus.

View attachment 279205

Crow T Cat is tricky to photo as the light really has to be catching his eyes. Caught it in 5 & 6 but the patch of light on his nose spoiled it. It wasn't terrible with a bit of judicious pp, but it was turd polishing time really.

11 was about the best of the bunch, and the focal length and aperture really pulled Tom's eyes out of the frame. 9 & 13 have also come out ok with 13 being paritcularly sharp and crisp. With hindsight, I should have shot this at 800 as some of these shots were 1/30 which at 150mm isn't ideal.

Everyone loves cats.

View attachment 279206

I've got a few cat shots on some, as yer un contact-sheeted, rolls. Not a full roll though - it'd take a decade or more for him to sit still enought times!

Back