Ice Hockey Photography

That's what I thought best about this photo. :LOL:

But that because you are also a photographer...:bonk:
I do wonder if at the time of taking the photo our good friend who took this even noticed the other photographer there.
Then again, it is these small things sometimes that add something extra to the image.

I did notice the guy oin the background when I was quick deleting between periods through the lcd! I had noticed him earlier walking around the rink (the last pic I deleted of the fight sequesnce that was well & truely out of focus on the fighters - worse than the 1st one - showed him with his camera almost ready, but he had lost the moment by then as the fight had finished!)

Absolutely agree with your comments in regard to both sets of photos though.

The 1st fight one was because I had just been shooting in landscape with the uppermost focus point enabled when the fight started to kick off. I was lucky with the 1st cross checking pic as the camera had focused on the guy on the right, however with the next one, it had focused on the ref! Unfortunmately not much I could do due to the speed at which it kicked off!

The breakaway shot went through the netminders legs which is why you can't see it in the pic you mention & as I stated before, I always use manual exposure settings of f2.8 & 1/500. With the light levels available at our rink, that is all you can get away with & have to try to be nailed on with your focus point due to the shallow depth of field as a result.

One of the finest Ice hockey photographers around, dave page of the nottingham panthers sadly passed away today. rip

I was following the thread on the hockey forums and on the nottingham panthers website. he suffered a stroke just over a week ago and has now passed on. A shock to say the least and my heart goes out to his family.. RIP Dave page

A legend who will be sorely missed. I heard he was unwell, but have just found out the sad news.

My thoughts are with his family.

Just to echo the sentiments already posted - Dave was a colleague and is worthy of the too often used term 'Legend'. Clearly the thoughts of many others as well - as the minutes applause at Saturday's Panthers v Steelers game (extended to a 4/5 minute standing ovation) from all of the 6500+ present testifies.

Ah the thread that brought me on here :)

Amazing shots guys!

I had been looking for tips on the net when i came across this thread... now you're going to cost me ££££s getting a new lens :LOL:

Back