Non UK Iceland - Icecave

I'll second Blue Car rental, used them 3 times with no issues. Their cars were new...ish and well maintained and they are just a 10 minute walk from departures.

and to complete the set....

snowcar.jpg

but then again no significant snow so far this season in the main tourist areas of Iceland so its always a lottery! tough when you're an obsessive planner like me haha *panics*

I'll second Blue Car rental, used them 3 times with no issues. Their cars were new...ish and well maintained and they are just a 10 minute walk from departures.

oh yes, i should have added that my recommendation is that i found them the best value cos they were the cheapest and i had a good experience, rather than just going for the cheapest (i.e. Sad cars, felt they were a bit too much of a risk to take...)

*edit - having said that, i just looked up Sad cars prices, and i dont think they were signifcantly cheaper than Blue or Geysir so i'd def not use them unless i had to

Last edited:
I saw a photo on instagram yesterday (which i almost commented on) of someone basically bragging that they'd ignored the advice that you should only go to the ice cave with a guide, that it wasnt advisable to take your own car and you needed a helmet and crampons (and implying that everyone who'd gone with a guide was a loser). This attitude from people seems to be increasing and i noticed it a lot on last trip - to ignore advice that is there for your own safety and to protect the delicate environment from morons. people are so interested in likes on social media and others on social media make it worse by posting photos where they have clearly ignored signs and barriers (at places like Dyrhólaey and Fjaðrárgljúfur canyon there were warnings about going over barriers to protect the moss and flowers) to get the photo of them so people want to copy that.

slightly off topic sorry, but after @smr comment above, it reminded me of how irritated i was when i saw this person's photo.

Back