Iceland - one daytime shot + 3 night aurora shots

Beautiful auroras, thanks for sharing them. That's some waterfall, the people there give it scale too.

Absolutely brilliant. Love them all and would appreciate some information on exposure/processing, etc.

Hi Jim,
Very little processing other than shot in RAW and opened up in PS CC. A touch of noise reduction in Define2.
The aurora all shot on a tripod - ensure depends on how bight the aurora is but average around 10 seconds at ISO 1600.
KO?
James

You make it sound so simple James ! I hope that one day I may manage a trip to Iceland and if I managed pictures like those you have posted I will leave a very happy man indeed !:clap:

I'm one of the group heading up there in March and hoping to get a shot like any of those. Thanks for sharing.

Very nice Jim, and yes I'll be there soon :) and hoping we get a similar clear sky and aurora as well. You have given the time and iso but how fast was the glass for those values?

@Nod we will be passing that particular water fall twice (y)

Last edited:
No4 is absolutely breath-taking looks great must be wonderful to be able to see and capture such wonderful events

Hi,
Taken at different months as I have been to Iceland several times - although the aurora were all in winter months.
The lens for aurora needs to be f2.8 or faster.
James

Just taken delivery of a 14mm f/2.8 for just that purpose.

@Big Andy , I had a feeling we probably were, seeing that the waterfall appears to be facing southwards(ish) since it's in full sunlight. If we're staying anywhere near a decent waterfall, I'd like to do some night shots of it if the weather's anything like cooperative!

Just taken delivery of a 14mm f/2.8 for just that purpose.

@Big Andy , I had a feeling we probably were, seeing that the waterfall appears to be facing southwards(ish) since it's in full sunlight. If we're staying anywhere near a decent waterfall, I'd like to do some night shots of it if the weather's anything like cooperative!

Short answer is yes. Long answer is here:- https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/iceland-again-march-2015.549235/page-10#post-6698652

Perfect shots!
I've been there in last March. No lights unfortunately. But plenty of other nice stuff to shoot about!
I wish you perfect weather and have fun!

Amazing James! We've just returned from Iceland ourselves, unfortunately we never saw an Aurora close to that!!

Really nice. I like the aurora filament texture in the 3rd and how it embrace the mountain in the 4th. Great set!

Great photos like the above are the result of good planning beforehand and a wee bit of luck for a weather/aurora window. I imagine there were times when there was so much going on you didn't know what to look at. More power to your elbow!

Back