Iceland - what filters?

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
I've booked to go to Iceland for just 2 nights 2 days in January - stopping in Reykjavik. We have planned to do blue lagoon and Reykjavik city day 1 and then the golden circle tour day two. Hopefully see the northern lights on either night weather dependent. I have a set of 3 basic grads - what would be your recommendation for any other filters - my mind is saying 10 stop for the waterfall , but would like some suggestions. Cheers

Polariser. 6 stop for the waterfalls. Soft grads are more useful than hard - not many straight horizons.

My pleasure Chris. As well as filters, take something to cover them / clean them with if you are going anywhere near a waterfall. There will potentially be lots of spray, which may freeze on the filter. A handy tip I read somewhere was to use a clear shower cap to cover the lens to keep it dry whilst setting up the shot, then whip it off for the exposure and replace afterwards.

The spray is a pain, I struggled when I went on the big falls.

Never considered the spray thanks for mentioning that! And thanks for the advice Steve.

At night, the spray will freeze on the front element almost immediately, so either get your shots first time or have a few filters handy so you can keep swapping them for dry ones while the frosted ones thaw and get cleaned. Depending on how smooth you want the water, even 1/125th might be enough. Good luck with the Aurora Borealis - don't forget to use your Mk 1 eyeballs for it as well as a camera!

Back thinking about this now the festivities are over. I guess when you recommend the 3 stop and 6 stop filters you mean the round screw on ones as opposed to the square ones that go in a filter holder?

Back