Icelandic Aurorae

Nod

Tootles
Name
Nod (UK)
Edit My Images
Yes
First off, one that we (Paul, Rich and I) are pretty sure was a faint one, as seen from the end of the causeway near Vik. Seem to have caught a shooting star as well!

079079 by gpn63, on Flickr

080080 by gpn63, on Flickr

Then a couple from the lower car park up at Gullfoss. Intended using the 14mm f/2.8 but the show covered the whole sky so I did my best to capture the whole sky with a fisheye while still keeping a little ground around the edges. A couple of automated tweaks in PSE have made the colours a bit lurid but they were quite vivid even to the naked eye!

101101 by gpn63, on Flickr

095095 by gpn63, on Flickr

090090 by gpn63, on Flickr

And a final one that Mrs Nod got with the X-30 braced against a fence in the hotel car park. If she'd shot video, the soundtrack would have included a lot of profanity and blasphemy from the American girls who were running around rather excitedly!!! ("Holy f*****g s***, man! This is f*****g AWESOME!!!" [And TBH, it was!])

010010 by gpn63, on Flickr

We certainly have some beautiful skies and you captured the subtle colours very well there. Must have been quite a spectacular sight.

Am I the only person on the forum that hasn't been to Iceland? Hmmm, time I sorted that out.

Great use of the fisheye to capture the whole sky. I don't believe I've seen this done before.

You can throw away the tripod now Mrs Nod has discovered the art of holding a camera still. That's pretty spectacular for not being on a tripod. She's a keeper. ;-)

She certainly is!

IIRC, whole skies were one of the original uses for fisheyes - for meteorological observations. At the time, I felt that since the phenomenon was covering the whole sky, I should try to get as much of it in as possible and enjoy the movement with the Mk 1 eyeballs. Photos can never hope to capture the constant changes, just act as aides memoire for the night. I'm pretty pleased with the first one posted, as I said, we were pretty sure the purple and green were a faintish Aurora (which was one of the main hopes for the entire trip as well as that night's excursion!), the stars and especially the shooting star were a welcome bonus.

As always, I can take very little credit for the colours etc. Nature was the artist, I was merely the aimer and an old automated PP routine did a quick and easy job on pulling up what it could!

Thanks to all for looking and commenting.

Derek, it's not too far away (2 1/2 hours flight from Bristol) and not as horrendously expensive as we thought it might be, although the car hire and fuel was a touch over a grand, shared between 4 it was affordable. We did buy some warm gear for the trip but will be using that again here in the UK. The one night we did eat out proper posh wasn't cheap but the langoustines were delicious and perfectly cooked.

Last edited:
Nod - one of my favourite memories when i saw the lights was the Canadians we'd be chatting to just going "OH MY GOD!" loudly all the time when the show was in full swing - makes me smile - I was saying it too, just not as loud! We only had a level 2/3 aurora so i can't imagine what the level with these colours must look like when you're standing there

Interesting fish eye use for sure!

and Iceland is def more affordable than a lot of people think - particularly in winter. You just have to be prepared that somethings are a bit pricey and deal with that. I have been 4 times and planning a 5th (and I am not rich!). I imagine car hire split between a group of people makes it more affordable too. I can bore people for a long time on a couple of places to stay, eat and recommend a good blog called i heart reykjavik if you want some tips from a local - she does a great walking tour of the city too. i usually say to plan a trip with other exciting things on your list apart from the aurora so you're not disappointed. My visit in March (Sunday - Thursday) was about £234 for a self catering place with Icelandair, but no car, previous trip in Nov 2013 (3 nights) with Wow air (recommended) was similar price. Looking at similar length trip with car hire at end of august - just shy of £500 (but thats because im paying for car hire all myself as its just me) - i could go on....

Our car hire was so expensive because we went for a LandCruiser. Had to to fit 4 adults and all the luggage in for the hops between accommodation. Glad we had something that big - anything smaller would have risked getting blown off the road (we got a bit squirrely a couple of times, even with studded tyres...)

While the Aurora was one of the much hoped for big draws, the trip's planner (@Big Andy) had been before so had a few highlights for us to stay near - Vik, the Ice Lagoon and beach, Hofn and Gullfoss waterfall (where the fisheye shots were taken during a massive Aurora storm!) When we go back, we'll probably do the West coast peninsula and a couple of days in Reykjavik and maybe even do the full ring road tour over a couple of weeks at some point.

Apparently, a little later in the evening of the Aurora, the American girls were in the hot tubs at the hotel, still enthusing loudly (as they are wont to do!) about the show - I was in bed with the curtains open, drifting in and out of sleep with the show going on outside (that's the light show, not the semi naked American girls!!!)

Yeah, car hire is a big one. Im getting the basic basic cos its just me so nothing too fancy but understand you'd have needed that, had a yaris on our first visit which was a bit horrid & a grand vitara on the ring road. I'm using geysir.is - we'll see how that goes. The blog i mentioned has a special offer with Budget car hire - something to check out for next time - the walking tour she does is great, and nice to support small local business. i didn't want to drive in winter, give the hairy weather! Was meant to go on a day trip around Snæfellsnes pennisula but weather cancelled it, sadly as it's was somewhere i had not been yet. The 'road' to Dettifoss is a bit of a drag - it's terrible condition, if i hadnt been driving my friend would hjave made us turn back as its a long old way on very bad surface, i probably wouldnt have done it in the Yaris. Although this was 2007, maybe its changed, altho i watched someones video of their ring road trip and they ended up turning back, they were in a camper. You almost think you're on the wrong road.

Vik is lovely - one of my favourite memories is sitting in a hot tub outside the guest house we stayed in in Vik when we did the ring road tour. Gorgeous. I'd not spent much time in Rekyjavik on my first two trips, so it was nice to stay there on the past two trips, but will be out and about more next time with the car.

We did the ring road in the week, but couple of weeks is most def a better idea as we didnt get to stay long in places - on reflection i'd have done differently.

like i say.. i could bore people forever on this subject! haha.

I reckon you'd probably need a week (at least!) in each of several places to almost ensure you got at least a half day of decent light, although the clouds we had didn't half add some drama to the skies!

We stayed just West of Vik, in the Dyrholaey Hotel and split the trip back from Hali to Gullfoss with another night there. As for roads, other than the track down to the Dakota, we stayed pretty much on the ring road, although we did go up the back road from the far side of the tunnel near Hofn (on the old, pre-tunnel track) and up to another glacier (Svinafellsjokull) on another good track. Might have been a bit more adventurous if we'd taken out more insurance on the vehicle but not sure there was any to cover us properly off roading!

Anyway, mustn't derail the thread any more, although hopefully the discussion might help anyone reading and planning a trip there in the future!

Sounds like you had a good amount of time - - i wasnt quite so focused on the photos back then, was still learning.

yes, sorry everyone for rambling. i'm happy to discuss anything via PM if you have a burning icelandic question. im no expert, but i like to ramble :)

Just realised that it's my thread so I can be fairly sure the OP isn't too offended!

The only question I have is about the nutters who do the Formula Off Road stuff - when and where?!

Not sure when we'll be going back, just that it's when not if.

I so wish I could go to Iceland, these treads make me wanna go so bad!

I'm another one who has never seen a fish eye used like this, I'd never wanted one before, but now I do!!!!

Beautiful stuff.

Stephen, I would suggest that you rent a fisheye rather than leap in and buy one straight away. I bought a Lomo Fisheye (little film thing with a fairly crappy fisheye lens but it did the job!) to see if my want would be justified and then was extremely lucky to spot a Sigma 8mm in the classifieds on this forum. Turned out that the lens had been bought as a spare just in case the chap's first one wasn't any good (Sigma's QC was a little haphazard some years ago!) and he was realising a little cash on it. It was still in the sealed plastic bag in the box! MINE'S NOT FOR SALE!!!

Cheers everyone for looking and commenting. Iceland's not hard to get to from many airports all over the country (IIRC we had people on our trip who came from Bristol, Manchester and Luton airports and all the flights arrived within 1/2 an hour so a rendezvous was easy) and there are so many things to shoot there. A little short of wildlife during the winter but we did see plenty of Reindeer, loads of Ravens, a lot of sea birds and even an Arctic Fox in its darker coat (made it easy to spot against the snow!) The scenery just keeps taking your breath away - and that was just along the South coast - there's so much more for us to see.

slight off main topic too - i bought a fish eye adapter thing for about £40 to use on a normal lens to see how i liked it, but it really wasnt that great or very true to a fish eye (obviously!!) . i think i will have to rent a proper fish eye one day when i have a situation wher ei will get my moneys worth.

yes there is s*** loads to shoot - and all looks complelty different in winter. Example, Gullfoss is amazing in sun/blue sky, with rainbow in the spray and getting right up close to it - then in winter it's spectacular all frozen in mid flow.

once ive flown sleazyjet in a few months, i'd have a rounder idea of flight quality/experience, but im expecting wow and iceland air to win...

TBH, we didn't have high expectations of SleazyJet but were pleasantly surprised. Since it's such a short flight ad was so early in the morning, we grabbed a bite at Bristol airport and just had a(nother!) coffee on the flight. Seats were comfortable (well, as comfortable as they usually are in cattle class!) leg room was ample and the flights were on time both ways - what more do you really need?!

OT again... Did anyone else see TravelMan yesterday evening? What a load of absolute crap! Looked like he had no intention of enjoying the trip and succeeded in that ambition. Just wish his producer had made him finish the plate of rotten shark. The only thing the programme was good for was to show me that Iceland looks far less photogenic without snow!

and Iceland is def more affordable than a lot of people think - particularly in winter. You just have to be prepared that somethings are a bit pricey and deal with that. I have been 4 times and planning a 5th (and I am not rich!). I imagine car hire split between a group of people makes it more affordable too. I can bore people for a long time on a couple of places to stay, eat and recommend a good blog called i heart reykjavik if you want some tips from a local - she does a great walking tour of the city too. i usually say to plan a trip with other exciting things on your list apart from the aurora so you're not disappointed. My visit in March (Sunday - Thursday) was about £234 for a self catering place with Icelandair, but no car, previous trip in Nov 2013 (3 nights) with Wow air (recommended) was similar price. Looking at similar length trip with car hire at end of august - just shy of £500 (but thats because im paying for car hire all myself as its just me) - i could go on....
+1, i went a week or 2 before you i think, and total cost of the trip came to like £750, but I did a lot of the "must do"s like whale watching, blue lagoon etc and went as a group with private coach hire, and a lot of eating out (not too expensive though). i would imagine doing it by hiring a car would be cheaper and plan on doing so at some point in the future :) flew with Iceland air, £150 return flights Gatwick to Reykjavik which was decent imo

might be time for me to sort out my Aurora photos :p

TBH, we didn't have high expectations of SleazyJet but were pleasantly surprised. Since it's such a short flight ad was so early in the morning, we grabbed a bite at Bristol airport and just had a(nother!) coffee on the flight. Seats were comfortable (well, as comfortable as they usually are in cattle class!) leg room was ample and the flights were on time both ways - what more do you really need?!

Yeah, i dont think its going to be terrible - but will be missing the key ingredient of icelandic staff & accents :) my flight is at 730am, ill prob take something with me from airport to eat on the plane if i feel like eating then. i read a blog that said the cheese toast on sleazyjet is one of the very best!

+1, i went a week or 2 before you i think, and total cost of the trip came to like £750, but I did a lot of the "must do"s like whale watching, blue lagoon etc and went as a group with private coach hire, and a lot of eating out (not too expensive though). i would imagine doing it by hiring a car would be cheaper and plan on doing so at some point in the future :) flew with Iceland air, £150 return flights Gatwick to Reykjavik which was decent imo

might be time for me to sort out my Aurora photos :p

Sounds like a good price - i'd done whale watching & blue lagoon before so i had other priorities. I'd like to do whale watching again but probably from husavik if i did it again. Sounds good with meals out too. The prices to me always seemed like prices in a big city, rather than anything super hideous - i'm pretty money conscious - but it probably helps that im not that bothered about drinking. a guy at work said they were put off going again by the price of the wine! last time we went there was a group of posh boys on a stag do! pricey.

i was trying to remember how much a week route 1 trip with car hire, hotels etc was in 2007, in august, but i cant find any old emails about it. When i go in may next year im thinking of trying out the air bnb route

I sort of know what you mean about the accents but we tend to be watching a film on a tablet so don't hear much! We were sat in the middle so by the time they got to us, they'd run out of croquet monsieur. :( Didn't NEED it, just helps pass the time! We only went out for one proper "posh" meal and that was pretty pricey but also excellent! (The lobster [actually langoustine] place in Hofn.) For the other sit down meals, we found it was reasonably priced, even if there wasn't a huge amount of choice in the hotel eating halls. Vegetarian wasn't difficult (Mrs Nod, not me!) just even more limited choice, either soup (excellent and very filling) or pasta. For lunches, we tended to make a few too many sarnies to eat at breakfast and they found their way into napkins and bags... I loved the sweet pickled herrings (I think that's what they were) in a mild mustard and dill sauce - meant to bring a few jars home but forgot to pick some up when we visited a supermarket!

I never know how cheeky to be at breakfast - the last 2 visits we've been self catering, but im in a hotel next time. When we did the route 1, one guesthouse had a specific note basically saying "oi dont make your lunch from our breakfast".

Food wise, i have simple tastes so posh things usually wasted on me. Did have an amazing artic charr at a hotel in Reykholt in 2007 but i have no idea how much it was! (i lived at home then and obviously cared less about £!) The one sit down meal we had was £36 for a main and beer for two which isnt that outrageous. I'm happy with those hot dogs :)

i tend to end up with chcolate and liquroce to bring home from supermarket! :sneaky: mild mustartd and dill sounds nice, not so sure on the herrings :)

My friend that ive gone with past two times i dont see that often so we chatted more than watched stuff, altho i did watch a few bits on icelandair screens. Ill watch a film this time tho as its just me. How much is this toastie, i feel like i need to experience it! The icelandic klienur donut we had on icelandair was actually better than one we'd had in town!

Dunno how much the toastie would have been - they'd run out by the time they got to us!
We didn't really take the P too much with making lunch, it was only a sarnie or 2 and near the end of the breakfast service - no signs requesting that we didn't do it either. I suppose we were quite early in the season though, I could see it being a problem in high season. Had we been closer to supermarkets and had a bit more time, we would have done less overbreakfasting, although that herring stuff was gorgeous! TBH, I would probably have just loaded my stomach with a bigger breakfast had there been signs and tried to ignore any hunger pangs at lunchtime.
Our posh meal out was closer to £75 for the 2 of us and that was with water... AND Mrs Nod just had a plate of asparagus. Mind you, I think we did have starters and a pudding as well!

Yeah ill probably do the supermarket thing for some stuff, bit harder to use up bread and stuff being by myself. not sure if hotel has bridge. but yeah stuff face at breakfast is a good plan too. Skyr is very filling. Ill see what others are doing as it will be the tail end of summer.

As muchas people say its expensive, with a bit of planning you can make it as affordable, or posh as you want. altho if it puts some people off going and makes more room for me, then tahts ok too :) there is asome concernt that the tourist numbers are getting a bit unsustainable amongst the natives

Back