Icelandic sky

Name
Tom
Edit My Images
Yes
IMG_2903b__-Edit.jpg

C&C always welcome.

Thank you for looking :)

Nice, but waaaaay too dark on my monitor (calibrated only yesterday)

I'm using a hardware calibrated monitor and agree it's too dark.

Cheers for your comments. As for being dark - that is the level of light at midday in December in Iceland.

Thats horrendous. We have to wait up until 4 in the afternoon to get a sunset here in December!

Amazing sky. The comments above notwithstanding, couldn't it be lightened just a little?

I'm using a hardware calibrated monitor and agree it's too dark.

As replied to earlier that is the light at that time of year.

So you get sunsets at mid-day? That must be a sight!

Well there's a 3 week period during winter where you have no sunrise or sunset at all. The period leading into that and going away from then the sun is little more than just above the horizon and hence for the short daylight period you just have horizontal golden light.

Tom

Yep the light in Iceland is fantastic, just got back from being out there for a month, I was out for 2 months over christmas and new year as well, and I'm going back this christmas! I love the place! The shot is a little dark, but I love the details in the clouds.(y)

Underexposure isn't always a bad thing - I think it probably captures the scene as it appeared. Well done.

Just to agree with the original poster -

This is the sky in Iceland at 30 minutes past midnight in September.
CRMC1921.jpg

Although - the brightness I feel could be lightened just a tad to bring out some of the ground in the original photo.

Last edited:
I like it.

It actually reminds me a little of Rannoch Moor up here in Scotland.

As replied to earlier that is the light at that time of year.

I understand that, erding, but the fact is that it's also a photograph and as such doesn't necessarily need to be an exact document of reality. Take night shots, for example, images that are rectangles of indistinct shadows would closer reflect the light conditions at the time, but they're rarely presented that way (for good reason) and still manage to convey the lack of light that is night.

Entirely up to you, of course, it's your photograph but my personal view is that it would be enhanced by lightening it a bit so it can be seen a little more clearly.

Last edited:
Very dark on my monitor, however I "scrolled my screen" to lose the land and keep only the sky, Wow it is very dramatic

Went there last year - it's a bit more awkward to get to at the moment if you want to drive since they stopped the ferry running from Scrabster.

You can still get there if you want to go via Denmark though. That may change next year and the ferry may once again return to the UK.

4x4 is the only choice if you want to explore.

Not wishing to hijack the original thread but my snappets from my trip are Here. An out of the world kind of place.

erding, hope you don't mind me adjusting your image. it looks like you took it through a tinted window. I understand it is dark there (having been there myself at that time of year) but the sun is clearly behind the clouds and the sun is the sun wherever you are in the world.
I will remove this pic, I just wanted to offer some constructive criticism as it is too dark on my calibrated monitor. Disregard it if you want, just my opinion.. It's a great and powerful image anyway. :clap:

3yfhn.jpg

Erding, click here to delete it

Went there last year - it's a bit more awkward to get to at the moment if you want to drive since they stopped the ferry running from Scrabster.

You can still get there if you want to go via Denmark though. That may change next year and the ferry may once again return to the UK.

Not wishing to hijack the original thread but my snappets from my trip are Here. An out of the world kind of place.

Brilliant photos, that is exactly what I want to do over there in the future! I take it you took the ferry to Seyðisfjörður? How long did that trip take? I'm doing it the slightly slower way, on bicycle next year!:D

Last edited:
Thats horrendous. We have to wait up until 4 in the afternoon to get a sunset here in December!
Amazing sky. The comments above notwithstanding, couldn't it be lightened just a little?

Well that's Essex for you :D To lighten the scene is very simple but you are then not showing the actual scene but what you would like it to look like - my choice is for the former.

Yep the light in Iceland is fantastic, just got back from being out there for a month, I was out for 2 months over christmas and new year as well, and I'm going back this christmas! I love the place! The shot is a little dark, but I love the details in the clouds.(y)

Cheers is can get very addictive there as the light and natural sights are so unique.

Underexposure isn't always a bad thing - I think it probably captures the scene as it appeared. Well done.

Thank you.

Just to agree with the original poster -

This is the sky in Iceland at 30 minutes past midnight in September.
CRMC1921.jpg

Although - the brightness I feel could be lightened just a tad to bring out some of the ground in the original photo.

Thank you. Again remarkable light, in a post a while back I had some shots taken about 02:00 in June in the Myvant area - remarkable light sky with pink tones. The fg area is a lava field which is basically black rock so you would have to lighten the fg a lot more to show more detail and then the overall light of the scene would be unbalance and also not be representative of the actual scene.

Nice shot you took - why not start a new thread with some of the shots you took there.

I like it.

It actually reminds me a little of Rannoch Moor up here in Scotland.

Cheers I could quite believe it - but you also have the rain there.

I understand that, erding, but the fact is that it's also a photograph and as such doesn't necessarily need to be an exact document of reality. Take night shots, for example, images that are rectangles of indistinct shadows would closer reflect the light conditions at the time, but they're rarely presented that way (for good reason) and still manage to convey the lack of light that is night.

Entirely up to you, of course, it's your photograph but my personal view is that it would be enhanced by lightening it a bit so it can be seen a little more clearly.

Fair comment, but as I have just replied to horrocks its a question of the image illustrating the actual scene or being used as the basis of what you want to see.

Fantatstic shots well done

Kirk

Thank you.

Very dark on my monitor, however I "scrolled my screen" to lose the land and keep only the sky, Wow it is very dramatic

Thank you. I have previously posted similar edits where the fg was cropped out. Looking here at a different viewpoint and is why the dark lava field in fg was retained.

Seems to be a few people who like Iceland, lets have a tp meet there!:D

That has been suggested before.

Is that the ferry which goes to Seydisfjordur - the East side of Iceland has remarkable sights and only a handful of tourists. Agree with you about the 4x4 can see far more that way.

Nice shots - why don't you start a new thread with these images.

erding, hope you don't mind me adjusting your image. it looks like you took it through a tinted window. I understand it is dark there (having been there myself at that time of year) but the sun is clearly behind the clouds and the sun is the sun wherever you are in the world.
I will remove this pic, I just wanted to offer some constructive criticism as it is too dark on my calibrated monitor. Disregard it if you want, just my opinion.. It's a great and powerful image anyway. :clap:

3yfhn.jpg

Erding, click here to delete it

Cheers for the edit, whilst it has produced a good image it does not reflect the actual scene. No tinted windows were involved in the capturing of this shot just lots of shivering as it was -10c outside and windy. In in good sunshine that viewpoint is still quite dark due to the dark lava fielf below.

Tom

Sure will, here's a couple from the last visit:

Nice captures.

Hi Erding, nice sky, especially due to the wonderful clouds! I think the shot is too dark, but it's a matter of personal choices ;)

I've just visited Iceland...amazing place!!!! :eek::eek:

Cheers Andrea - agree that its an amazing place but be warned it can get addictive going there :D

Back