Name
Tom
Edit My Images
Yes
_69I3752-Edit.jpg

Larger version here

C&C welcome

Thanks for looking

The bigger version is well worth the click (y)

That large version is simply stunning, Tom.

Have you done much in the way of pp on this?

I like it... but...

There's something about the horizon. And the sky doesn't seem to quite match the sea - the hottest part of the sky hasn't cast any light on the sea, whereas it has on the rhs.

I don't think I'm really saying anything new here, but the sky is clearly the winner in this image! (y)

Have you done much in the way of pp on this?

I like it... but...

There's something about the horizon. And the sky doesn't seem to quite match the sea - the hottest part of the sky hasn't cast any light on the sea, whereas it has on the rhs.

I don't think I'm really saying anything new here, but the sky is clearly the winner in this image! (y)

Thanks for your comments - much appreciated.

I think what you are picking on the horizon is that a hard ND grad filter was used. PP was just some slight adjustments with curves and vibrance.

As there is cloud to the LH and central to the sun you would not expect to see the same light level cast as in the RH where there is no cloud cover.

Tom

Great sky, which as has been said, is where the interest lies. I don't think the rocks and surf in the foreground add much to the picture and would crop fairly severly down to the top of the surf. It's interesting that the hard line on the horizon, which I find annoying in the small image, isn't so detracting in the larger size.

Ironic that they're calling for more foreground in your other shot!

Great sky, which as has been said, is where the interest lies. I don't think the rocks and surf in the foreground add much to the picture and would crop fairly severly down to the top of the surf. It's interesting that the hard line on the horizon, which I find annoying in the small image, isn't so detracting in the larger size.

Agree with bottom crop, but not quite so severe.
I'd leave in a little of the rock.

Beautiful sky, not sure about composition though.

Thanks Mike for your comment - much appreciated.

+1 very nicely done :)

Thank you

Appreciate your comments - many thanks.

Crops I find are very much down to individual style/taste. I quite like the volcanic rock and spray here as it offers a change from a black sand beach.

Agree with bottom crop, but not quite so severe.
I'd leave in a little of the rock.

Thanks for your comments - much appreciated.

Tom

The large version presses all the buttons, excellent work :)

The larger version is much better. Not sure why it has a slightly noisy look to it. Maybe down to the file size for such a large image?

The larger version is much better. Not sure why it has a slightly noisy look to it. Maybe down to the file size for such a large image?

Thanks for your comments Robert - much appreciated.

Tom

Looks like two photographs merged together. The horison line looks very sharp, unnatural.
I would also try longer exposure to get "softer" water.

like the photo.

Looks like two photographs merged together. The horison line looks very sharp, unnatural.
I would also try longer exposure to get "softer" water.

like the photo.

Thanks for your comments Pietrach.

It is only one image and I suspect what you are detecting is the use of a hard ND filter. Not a fan of long water exposures.

Tom

FWIW, this strikes me as one of the rare exceptions where the "rule" of thirds is justifiably ignored. What strikes me about this landscape is the ultra-stark contrast between the "summer-like" warmth and humidity of the sky and the icy-cold look of the ocean and those rocks. Putting the horizon slap bang in the middle of the frame, only serves to emphasize this contrast.

Knowing that the photograph was taken in Iceland (a place that I've never been to, but would dearly love to visit), makes me think hard about that place and what an island of contradictions it may well be. In this respect, your landscape becomes something of a "portrait", which is (for me, at least) the hallmark of any great lanscape shot.

So, it gets a big (y) from this TPer.

FWIW, this strikes me as one of the rare exceptions where the "rule" of thirds is justifiably ignored. What strikes me about this landscape is the ultra-stark contrast between the "summer-like" warmth and humidity of the sky and the icy-cold look of the ocean and those rocks. Putting the horizon slap bang in the middle of the frame, only serves to emphasize this contrast.

Knowing that the photograph was taken in Iceland (a place that I've never been to, but would dearly love to visit), makes me think hard about that place and what an island of contradictions it may well be. In this respect, your landscape becomes something of a "portrait", which is (for me, at least) the hallmark of any great lanscape shot.

So, it gets a big (y) from this TPer.

Thank you for your comments - very much appreciated.

I have now posted several Icelandic images within this forum - if you search on those posts you will see more of landscape variations from that country.

Tom

Lovely one Tom and as has been said worth the click to see the biggy.
I have to agree with Naboo on this, the stark contrast between the 2 parts of the image are what makes it for me. And I like the horizon where it is and all the foreground.

My only slight complaint is that there is no sign of a Viking longship on the horizon, ah well cant have everything I suppose. :D

Andy

Cracking image what more could you ask for Dramatic foreground and a sky to die for ..

I think the crop is fine I think the image on a whole would suffer from a re-crop, rules are there to be broken and if you like the crop as is then enough said I think.

Top stuff

Nigel

Lovely one Tom and as has been said worth the click to see the biggy.
I have to agree with Naboo on this, the stark contrast between the 2 parts of the image are what makes it for me. And I like the horizon where it is and all the foreground.

My only slight complaint is that there is no sign of a Viking longship on the horizon, ah well cant have everything I suppose. :D

Andy

Thanks Andy for your comments - much appreciated.

Unfortunately the banks had re-possessed all the longships :LOL:

Cracking image what more could you ask for Dramatic foreground and a sky to die for ..

I think the crop is fine I think the image on a whole would suffer from a re-crop, rules are there to be broken and if you like the crop as is then enough said I think.

Top stuff

Nigel

Thank you Nigel

Back