"Iconic Portraits"

Name
Dan
Edit My Images
No
The client would like some 'iconic portraits' of 12 elderly people who have a story to tell - the portrait and story would be made into a calendar.

I'm not even sure what to do with the word iconic right now.. but they will be black and white portraits.

So what I'm after in a discussion would be suggestions on how to go about it...

I will practice a few lighting setups to see what I think will give the look we want, and it will be on location shooting.

I was considering whether to setup the camera on a tripod and use a remote shutter and have someone, if not me, engage with the subject to perhaps find some more emotional shots.

Perhaps there are photographers I should look up to be inspired by? Annie Leibovitz seems to do this kind of stuff I think..

any thoughts? thanks

Last edited:
I have a feeling the word 'iconic' wasn't exactly what the client meant. I feel like the word 'iconic' is used to describe portraits that have already been taken and have become iconic over time, rather than a word to describe a look or style. Maybe they mean 'classic'?

If you're shooting on location I guess they'll be more 'environmental portraits', so wider angle, greater DoF etc.

But I'm not a portrait photographer so I don't really know what I'm talking about :p

Whilst the idea of environmental portraits is nice I'm not sure all the locations will offer something suitable, and the client is after relatively plain portraits, probably background - I can take gear for this.

Maybe I'll fulfil the 'iconic' bit in time :D

I've recently seen a lot of head and shoulders pictures described as portraits. That's fair enough but I've always thought a portrait puts the sitter in a context. These shots were taken for newspaper use but they give an idea of where I'm coming from...

Advertisingmanagerbehinddesk.jpg

Auctioneer.jpg

LibrarianatExeter.jpg

I've recently seen a lot of head and shoulders pictures described as portraits.

Recently? I might be misunderstanding, but the entirety of the internet seems to to describe a head and shoulders picture as a portrait?

https://www.google.com/search?q=por...4rlAhXeXRUIHZrdDt8Q_AUIEigB&biw=1842&bih=1207

and Wiki

A portrait is a painting, photograph, sculpture, or other artistic representation of a person, in which the face and its expression is predominant. The intent is to display the likeness, personality, and even the mood of the person. For this reason, in photography a portrait is generally not a snapshot, but a composed image of a person in a still position. A portrait often shows a person looking directly at the painter or photographer, in order to most successfully engage the subject with the viewer.

I would suggest having a look at the work of Andy Gotts. Shot mostly in black and white, I feel his portraits really capture the subjects character.
I'm not sure I'd class them as iconic though.

I would suggest having a look at the work of Andy Gotts. Shot mostly in black and white, I feel his portraits really capture the subjects character.

yes probably won’t get hung up on the iconic bit, I will have a look thanks

I would go back and ask the client to describe what they mean by iconic. It's a vague word.

209 Women is a fantastic book of portraits of female politicians made by female photographers. They're mostly all what I'd describe as iconic, and all very different. Superb coffee table book and great inspiration.

Recently? I might be misunderstanding, but the entirety of the internet seems to to describe a head and shoulders picture as a portrait?
You said: "So what I'm after in a discussion would be suggestions on how to go about it..." I gave you some discussion and some suggestions on how to go about it. :thinking:

My 2p - When I worked in digital media a lot of problems were caused by the account manager interpreting the brief, we did a lot of work and then discovered the client had a very specific thing in mind which they'd not described clearly and we'd been wasting our time.

The client probably has something in mind when they use the word "Iconic" but it isn't coming across to you.

I would ask them to send some links or google images screen grabs of the kind of image they want rather than try and second guess what they mean.
You could send them something either from your own portfolio or elsewhere and check this is the type of thing they're hoping you'll deliver.

I always find Magnum inspirational - though attainable ;)
https://www.magnumphotos.com/tag/portrait-photography/

Maybe shots similar to those of the 30's through to the 50's of "iconic" women, mainly all actresses?

If I remember correctly, the lighting used was a Frensel spot as that was what was on set. (Betty Grable, Lauren Bacall, Katharine Hepburn, Audrey Hepburn... )

Yes not getting hung up on the word iconic, maybe I should not have included it in the thread at all :)

And thanks, Andy Gotts has got some inspiring stuff, like the David Lynch shot or Mark Hamill

I guess he means images that indicate respect and (not quite the right word) authority or presence. Dignity. Character should show through.

Shooting from below the eye line of the subject can evoke a sense of status, as the viewer is looking slightly 'up' at the subject.

I sugest you practise with a few stand in volunteers first, to get you look right.

Don’t overthink this. Stay behind the camera. Do them one at a time. If you can, use available light. Engage with them. Really engage with them. That’s where you’ll find your picture. If you want a reference I’d look to Richard Avedon
www.michaeldonald.com

Just looking at your website, your image of Charlie Watts suggests to me iconic. The setting, his pose, everything about it. Great work!

Last edited:
Don’t overthink this. Stay behind the camera. Do them one at a time. If you can, use available light. Engage with them. Really engage with them. That’s where you’ll find your picture. If you want a reference I’d look to Richard Avedon
www.michaeldonald.com

Thanks,

I was concerned about available light due to consistency, 12 people in 12 different locations for a calendar. Locations like nursing homes.

Last edited:
I sugeest you get a proper written brief, just saying iconic portrait is a bit vague, different people will interpret that differently. To me it implies classic face on with rembrandt lighting, but I'd put money on other togs on here having very different ideas.

I sugeest you get a proper written brief, just saying iconic portrait is a bit vague, different people will interpret that differently. To me it implies classic face on with rembrandt lighting, but I'd put money on other togs on here having very different ideas.

I will get a friend to sit for me and go through a variety of lighting and take those to the client to see what best represents their idea.

I think they're looking for something that brings out the personality of the person. Illustrates their story. This is a calendar, so keep it light. Get them talking. Get them laughing. You should probably have a partner that can keep that going while you shoot. Maybe somebody from the staff who knows them.

Sounds counterintuitive, but take a bunch of pictures. Do it while they're talking and don't stop. It will be really awkward for a few minutes, but then you'll kind of fade into the background. Magic is allowed to happen then.

I'd say find some natural light. Window light, open shade. Fill with a strobe off a wall if you think you need to, but let the natural light do the work. Don't try to hide the wrinkles, and look for sparkle in the eyes. There's a lifetime of burden and joy in there.

These are probably a little too heavy for a commercial calendar. Different stories to tell. But I like to think I got close to understanding those stories when I made them.

IMG0013_edited-1.jpg ...... IMG0028.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks

Unfortunately the calendar didn’t go ahead, but I will continue to explore portraiture anyway!

Back