ID please for a nest builder?

Name
kev
Edit My Images
Yes
Seem to be getting lots of different birds into my garden at the moment, but no idea what half of them were, this was spotted out of bedroom window but not sure what it is,

bird1 by kevaylett, on Flickr

cool beans guys thanks for uber quick reply,

any critique on the image as a cheeky add on?
thanks again :)

aah i assumed it was attached to the image on flickr but i'll post the Exif here as well
Exposure 0.003 sec (1/400)
Aperture f/5.6
Focal Length 300 mm
ISO Speed 1600
Lens 70-300mm

cheers

Its lovely to see the birds with nesting materials like this, but I have to say that you havent got the best suroundings for this shot. If they are feeding or collecting from your garden, try to put up a branch or two to act as perchs near the food and where you can get shots but be as concealed as possible.

Goldys and colourful birds but this isnt shown here, a boost in levels in PP should help. You have got plenty of colour detail from what I can see so you should be able to bring the colour and vibrance out in the bird.
You have used 1600 ISO, perhaps you needed that to get a reasonable shutter speed if the light was low, however its introduced a lot of noise into the picture. In this instance I would suggest selecting the bird very carefully, apply noise reduction (NR) to the background (BG) and then apply unsharp mask (USM) to the bird only to show more detail.

The secret of bird shots as well as some other types of images, is to get as close as possible, either physically or with long lenses, or a combination of both. While a long lens is always a benefit, its not always essential. A colleague on here uses a 70-200mm lens and gets some great results, so its then down to technique. The more you crop the image the more detail you lose, so filling the frame as much as possible with the subject will help.

I hope this helps and I look forward to seeing some more from you Kev (y)
Trev

Trev4 thanks very much, nice to get some good (very good) feedback, mostly this was an opportunistic shot as it out of my window, when these visited there was robins an assortment of tits and a few pairs of goldfinches as well as my usual pigeons! so in the past day i have out up a couple of boxes and the finches are on my shed roof (which is prefect as a hide and has power point in so some remote shooting is deffo for some super close ups (hopefully) The robins are quite used to me though (something to do with mealworm :p)
watch this space!!

Trev4 thanks very much, nice to get some good (very good) feedback, mostly this was an opportunistic shot as it out of my window, when these visited there was robins an assortment of tits and a few pairs of goldfinches as well as my usual pigeons! so in the past day i have out up a couple of boxes and the finches are on my shed roof (which is prefect as a hide and has power point in so some remote shooting is deffo for some super close ups (hopefully) The robins are quite used to me though (something to do with mealworm :p)
watch this space!!
Way to go, good luck and let us see the results (y)

Last edited:
Back