Beginner Ideas for photos of pregnancy bump

Name
Sam
Edit My Images
No
Hi there, not sure where this should be, really.

My wife and I aren't really the Facebook-selfie-everything-I-do-is-amazing-look-at-me-look-at-me sort of couple but we would like to take some photos to remember this moment in our lives - my wife is due to give birth to our first child.

I'd love some ideas for engaging shots of the bump.

Thanks for any help, pointers or inspiration.

Like a lot of photography, if you aren't sure, look for inspiration.

Google "maternity photos" , or less appealing, "Baby bump photos" and see what you like the look of :)

I quite like silly "fun" shots.

Turn the bump into a hill and put a toy tree on top. A bit of artificial lighting and a sunset behind... it's a silly take on a classic composition but it might bring a smile in years to come.

For more stereotypical shots, look at 500px and the family section. It's a bit sickly sweet at times, but there are some good shots and ideas there.

Firstly, congratulations.

As Paul has said above, the fun shots are the best I think at this point. There will be PLENTY of time for the more serious/thoughtful family type shots after the baby is born (trust me, ive been photographing pretty much everything my 6 month old has done since she was born ;))

How about making up a 'Coming Soon' banner to put across your Wifes stomach? Maybe you could take a straight shot and turn it into a faux movie poster :)

There will be PLENTY of time for the more serious/thoughtful family type shots after the baby is born (trust me, ive been photographing pretty much everything my 6 month old has done since she was born ;))

But then you'll have no serious shots of what is a very natural and beautiful period in a woman's life? Why trivialise it with silly shots. Surely as time goes by you'll get tired of looking at the "fun" shots. Yes, there's plenty of time to get all manner of shots of the children, but there's NOT plenty of time for this kind of shot, so why put all yoru eggs in one basket?

My advice is avoid google image searches for what everyone else is doing. You're not everyone else, you're you. Just take some lovely portraits of your wife and stop focusing on the bump. The bump is there... you can't hide it... so just take some lovely portraits. Which would you prefer to look at in 30 years... beautiful portraits, or a stupid shot of you pointing at her belly with the words "Job done" written across it in lipstick? :)

But then you'll have no serious shots of what is a very natural and beautiful period in a woman's life? Why trivialise it with silly shots. Surely as time goes by you'll get tired of looking at the "fun" shots. Yes, there's plenty of time to get all manner of shots of the children, but there's NOT plenty of time for this kind of shot, so why put all yoru eggs in one basket?

My advice is avoid google image searches for what everyone else is doing. You're not everyone else, you're you. Just take some lovely portraits of your wife and stop focusing on the bump. The bump is there... you can't hide it... so just take some lovely portraits. Which would you prefer to look at in 30 years... beautiful portraits, or a stupid shot of you pointing at her belly with the words "Job done" written across it in lipstick? :)

Down to individual taste of course. A lot of people absolutely love the silly shots, which is why you see Wedding shots with dinosaurs in etc.

Just an opinion. Feel free to ignore it if you want.

Back