Ideas for wildlife daytrip in the south

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
No
I recently upgraded to a decent lens I think it's finally time to go on a dedicated day trip and see what I can get.

The lens is a 300mm 2.8 VR and I have 1.4 and 2x teleconvertors. I mention this as it may influence suggestions.

I live in Surrey and want to get out and see something different from the foxes and deer I've been following recently.

I have considered Skomer for the Puffin and other sea birds but it's a long jaunt for a day trip and the fact you won't know if the boat is going until you get there is putting me off.

Date isn't set but it will be June July ish and I will book the time from work once I know what I'd like to do.

I've not been to Skomer; it look great, but Surrey to Skomer is a heck of day trip.

Have you looked at something closer. Dungeness, for example or the coast north Norfolk coast.

Link to RSPB reserves - http://www.rspb.org.uk/reserves/area/

Dave

I know a company based in Ramsgate which takes people out to see a seal colony. They are mostly harbour seals, but the trip is interesting and the subject is different from the norm.

Also shooting from a boat makes an interesting challenge. see http://www.horizonseasafaris.com/

It might be a fun thing to do

Dungeness looks like it might be interesting, will also look at the seal trips. Potentially I could do both in a day depending on times. There seems to be a few nice looking RSPB reserves up that way.

I've also been suggested Brownsea for the red squirrels.

I take it most places to see cliff birds are up north like Bempton cliffs? Is there nothing similar in the south, even if it's more of a weekend trip?

I don't know much about cliff nesting birds in the south of England. I think kittiwakes nest, or used to nest, near Seaford.

The only colony that comes to mind is Berry Head at Torbay where guillemots and razorbills nest, but other than Bempton, the really big cliff colonies are on islands, which as you've noted, may not be accessible when you try to visit them.

Dave

Have a think about Brownsea Island, just off the coast of Poole in Dorset, lots of bird life there and the RED squirrels of course

Les (y)

what about the london wetland centre or Arundel wetland Centre?

I recently went to the London WWT starting in Epsom. It wasn't too painful, and if you park in Putney, it's a pleasant 20 minute walk to the centre along the river - the Gloriana went passed when we were there.
Arundel's a nice town to wander through as well, mind you, so could combine some birds with some town/castle action. Lots of swans on the river there too.

I've been looking at both for a day out my self after being told they are worth a long day and taking a packed lunch with you

I live in London, but if I want to go for a decent day trip, I always go to Forest of Dean or Cannock Chase. I know it's not South, but these are the places I can recommend to anyone who wants to see lots of animals and doesn't mind a bit of a hike. Down south I like going to Dungeness and Isle of Sheppy. Both are hit or miss though depending on the weather. Dungeness can be very windy at times and Sheppy is good on sunny/warm days(mind you, you'll always see lots of waders on Isle of Sheppy especially winter time, but it's not the most pleasant place if the weather is miserable).

Back