Identification please

Name
Andy Grant
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi folks,

Can anyone help me to identify this camera please. It belonged to my Grandad ans unfortunately he swapped it for 2 Praktikas. The serial number appears to be either 948337 or 946337 the later indicates an M" elc manufactured in Canada but it doesn;t look like any of the images of that type so I'm a bit unsure now.

Cheers

Andy

If your grandad swapped his two praktikas for this then he is a very shrewd man! It is I think a Leica IIIg - the best one - maybe £500, that's not mentioning another £300 or so for the lens...

whatever the camera - its a Leica; and your granddad knew what he was doing.

A shot of the back of the camera is needed for exact identification; its a III series, very likely, as arthur says, g. The manufactured in Canada bit doesn't make sense; because manufacturing in canada started in the 70s - with M 5 I think. This camera was made atleast 25 years before that.

Are you sure Made in Canada and M is not written on the Lens? The lens looks like it might be a Summicron M lens. A few photographs of the lens might help identify

Er, It reads to me like Andy's grandad gave the leica and recieved 2 praktica's - in which case, someone got a bit of a result, but it wasn't Andy's grandad :(

Er, It reads to me like Andy's grandad gave the leica and recieved 2 praktica's - in which case, someone got a bit of a result, but it wasn't Andy's grandad

That's how i read it! :(

Yes, I'm afraid thats correct he swapped the Leica for the 2 Prakticas. They were I believe the best ones that Praktica made but still....... Apparently he was being asked to do a lot of weddings at the time and wanted a back-up, also I believe the swap included quite a few lenses and cash in his direction. This is the only shot I have of the camera as it was taken by Gramps before he swapped it.

As to the made in Canada bit I was going off the serial number on the top plate but it is a bit difficult to read so I may have it wrong.

Thanks guys at least I have an idea as to which one I would have inherited if Gramps hadn't been so careful about having a back-up. The Prakticas were put in the loft in the 1970's and then given away by my Mum about 15 years ago.

Cheers

Andy

Ah, sorry I misunderstood you.

The serial number would be 948337 , and it is a Leica IIIg ( serial number 948001 to 948500 belongs to Leica IIIg made in 1958 . No 946337 belongs to Lecia M2 Elec, made in 1958, which certainly this camera is not).

Thanks mate, thats another bit of the inheritance gone then.....

Cheers

Andy

The Prakticas were put in the loft in the 1970's and then given away by my Mum about 15 years ago.

Nooooooooooooooooo:shake:

I have a few people who have old cameras in there loft but they never seem to get round to getting them out to give to me even after they say i can have them!

The lens looks like a 90mm Elmar, f4 I think. like one of these;

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Leitz-Leica-9...es_CameraLensesFilters_JN?hash=item4839dd8962

!Bo70izgBWk~$(KGrHqYOKkIEu,VS7cqOBLpfjlQLOw~~_35.JPG

Back