If I was selling a 28-105 f3.5-4.5

Edit My Images
Yes
what would I look for as a sale price?

I got it as a gift, camerapricebuster shows the current new price as £204.95.... I think from memory the box is a bit battered and bruised - so what do you think it might be worth if I was to put it up for sale?

This is a bit of a 'testing the water' post so you might find it removed.

I'd say that assuming it's not an IS model, then £120-140 would be about right? It's not a particularly desirable lens, but should shift at that price.

Cheers,
James

Post this in the equipment section. For sale posts have to have firm prices. :)

That is a very nice lens for the price. Very good built quality, true USM engine and nice apertures for that range and price.
It was my very first lens. :)

Later I had another one - which i bought for sale - and I sold it for 130 or 140eur.

That is a very nice lens for the price. Very good built quality, true USM engine and nice apertures for that range and price.
It was my very first lens. :)

Later I had another one - which i bought for sale - and I sold it for 130 or 140eur.

it is a very good lens - the only thing is on my 450D it isnt wide enough for a lot of what I like to do..... it also gets itself into battle with my 18-55 kit lens and the 55-250 lens I have.......

I'm not sure whether to keep the 18-55 and sell the 28-105, or keep the latter and buy a good quality wide L lens as most of the work I do is <40mm

I trade mine for a Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 and I didn't regret a single second.
I just recommend it in here a couple of minutes ago:
http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=133430

If you want something wider, consider the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8. It's in my opinion the best zoom in that range you can buy for the price.

If you rarely use something longer than 40mm and you find no need of large apertures, you can't go wrong with the Canon 17-40mm f/4 L.

I trade mine for a Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 and I didn't regret a single second.
I just recommend it in here a couple of minutes ago:
http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=133430

If you want something wider, consider the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8. It's in my opinion the best zoom in that range you can buy for the price.

If you rarely use something longer than 40mm and you find no need of large apertures, you can't go wrong with the Canon 17-40mm f/4 L.

very interesting - thanks..... I'd sacrifice some speed of the lens for a wider range.... i mainly shoot outdoors so something <16mm at f4 would be fine for me i think.....

£150 is a dealer price, c/w warranty, so a private sale would probably be at around £100 - £120.

very interesting - thanks..... I'd sacrifice some speed of the lens for a wider range.... i mainly shoot outdoors so something <16mm at f4 would be fine for me i think.....

You're welcome. :)
Well, if you need something really wider than those 17mm I mentioned, then you have some other choices:

- Canon 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5
- Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6
- Tokina 12-24mm f/4.0
- Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8
- Tamron 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5

The Sigma has a terrible corner performance. I had one and I regret not buying the Tokina 12-24mm. It also has the worst aperture of the list.
Center performance is very good and and focusing speed is very fast, but I don't know if you'll need it.
Built quality is EX or, in other words, very good, but not as good as Tokina AT-X Pro series.

The Canon is probably the best, but it's more expensive.

The Tokina 12-24mm used to be the best for the money, but I stop reading about this type of lens, since I moved to full-frame later, so I don't know much about the Tokina 11-16mm and the Tamron 10-24mm. I'm sure you can find some good reviews on the internet (check Fredmiranda) and I think both should be very good lenses. The Tokina has impressive specs!

If you think you'll move to full-frame soon and still need something very wide at the moment, consider the Sigma 12-24mm. it's not excellent, but it's very decent and it will work in a full frame body.

By the way, the Tamron 17-50mm is also designed to work on APS-C bodies only.

Back