If I worked for FREE i'd be minted!!!

Name
PHILIP
Edit My Images
No
Just sent this email to the T&A

Hi XXX

My name is Philip Carver and I am the club photographer for Farsley AFC. At the moment I am using my position there as a base for me to improve my sports photography portfolio in order to gain paid work with a Sports Photographic Agency.

I notice that the T&A give quite a lot of coverage to Farsley and was wondering if you would be interested in using my photos to accompany the match reports.

You can see my Farsley photos at my Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/philcarverphotography/

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind Regards

Phil
www.philcarverphotography.com

and got this reply

Hi Phil
Cheers for the e-mail.
The bottom line is....would you want paying for pictures ?
If the answer is NO and you can get the pics over fairly quickly then I am sure we might be interested.
Thanks
XXX XXX

Anyway unimpressed I sent this back :D

Hi XXX

I'm afraid I would only supply the images at cost. As you'll agree they are of a professional standard and therefore can't supply them free of charge.

By supplying images free I would be undermining the professional Sports photographers who make their living from this.

I take it the T&A like all papers do have a budget for images?

I was at Farsley the other week and happened to notice a T&A photographer at the game, who I can only assume was being paid to provide the images.

Kind Regards

Phil
www.philcarverphotography.com

If only I could afford to work for FREE i'd be pretty well off :thinking:

You killed any chance of getting paid with your first line IMHO .. Telling them your learniing and want paying? Shouldnt have even mentioned it IMHO..

Also I wouldnt have sent a snotty reply back and burnt your bridges for any future possibilities...

As for the knight in shining armour for other photographers.. well sorry but that one really does annoy me.. probably the pic editor as well.. 99% chance he is a photographer who worked his way up..

Sorry mate.. understand the thinking.. but feel you went about it the wrong way.. I like to keep doors open for future possibilities not slam them shut .. :)

---

What would I have done (and indeed have done this) ?

1) Offered my services as a capable photographer who could supply what they need

2) replied to the no pay with a Thank you for there response and how I would need to work for a fee... thank them again and ask them to keep me in mind for any future requirements they may have.

3) sit back and maybe one day :)

Last edited:
You killed any chance of getting paid with your first line IMHO .. Telling them your learniing and want paying? Shouldnt have even mentioned it IMHO..

Also I wouldnt have sent a snotty reply back and burnt your bridges for any future possibilities...

As for the knight in shining armour for other photographers.. well sorry but that one really does annoy me.. probably the pic editor as well.. 99% chance he is a photographer who worked his way up..

Sorry mate.. understand the thinking.. but feel you went about it the wrong way.. I like to keep doors open for future possibilities not slam them shut .. :)

---

1) Offered my services as a capable photographer who could supply what they need

2) replied to the no pay with a Thank you for there response and how I would need to work for a fee... thank them again and ask them to keep me in mind for any future requirements they may have.

Totally agree, I thought the same as soon as I saw the first line.

---

Yep that probably sounds a better response Tony. However I don't think my reply was too bad.

We print The Sport so I get to look at T&A every day ;)

Shame it's not "live" though.

Back