If you are thinking about it go for it now.

Galaxy66

Jeremy Beadle
Name
My name is Mal not Jeremy :)
Edit My Images
Yes
Noticing some increases creeping in on cameras and lens prices lately.

So as my title says if you are thinking about it go for it now to save a few pounds before you are priced out altogether. The same applies to buying s/h.

I was thinking I was going to have to buy a new Canon 1.4 X extender, pleased I found one s/h they have gone up about 10%.

The upside is the kit you already have is increasing in s/h value.

I know most of us know about the increases as it has already been mentioned but there may be some unaware of the situation.

I've been thinking about this and wondering if sales will drop for a while.
Obviously for those who can’t wait to buy it won’t affect them if they can afford it.
However, for people that need to save up longer, they might sit back and wait.
I know Canon manufacture their camera bodies and lenses in Japan and I presume that Nikon, Sigma etc also do the same?
The days of most electronic products being produced in Japan and Taiwan are long gone as most people are aware, China is now the major player.
My point being is that with the world wide recession and with the pound and dollar currently being weak, eventually if will also affect other currencies as well as the Yen.
If this happens then the price rises will spread across the majority of consumer electronic products.
I noticed that within a day of receiving their stock of Sigma 10-20 lenses this week, Jessop’s put the price up by about £17 whereas they were a couple of pounds cheaper than Camerabox.

Yeah, don't hesitate - I almost placed an order for the 24-70L yesterday and today the price has gone up by almost £80. Gutted. :bang:

It was on back order, but the guy I spoke to at WHE said that if placed an order it would have been honoured at yesterday's value. He said that some of their canon and nikon stuff was going up by 15% but wasn't sure if it was all kit.

*sigh* hopefully the Easter sales will deliver.

Crap, I am after a s/h body, its totally the wrong time isnt it? :(

Any reason for this sudden increase in price?

Nope, I don't think all s/h stuff will rocket in value. Newish and really scarce/sought-after stuff might go up a bit, but run of the mill stuff will more than likely stay constant.

Hope not, its hard enough saving up for a new body without price increases :)

So as my title says if you are thinking about it go for it now to save a few pounds before you are priced out altogether.

I showed my wife this thread and mentioned that I'd really quite like a Sigma 120-300.....all I got was a stern look. I'll take that as a "no" I think:(

Any reason for this sudden increase in price?

It's something to do with the drop in value of our currency exchange rate. Basically, the £ doesn't go so far any more. I've read and heard that the likely increases range from 15-30% (depending on the manufacturer). Someone else can probably explain it better than me, but I think that's the basic premise behind the increase.

It is the right time if the seller, be it private or dealer has not factored in the price increases

well i best empty my money box and the 50d bought! will get looking for best prices now!
thanks Mal

i have been offered some work which means i could do with the UWA lens. I have to wait till payday for that, but the job its for will pay for most of it. I'm sure that there will be more jobs to help pay for stuff as well.

Back