If you can't find bugs...Buy them

Keenbfb

Suspended / Banned
Name
Karl
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm getting upset with the lack of bugs around at present so I popped into the local pet store and brought a box of Locust's to play with.
Not bad £3.20 for 6 of them

4382472073_3c1e678c33_o.jpg

4382472071_e3f717ea21_o.jpg

I guess there's a few days worth of fun in them before I roast them and have with a few chips:eek::eek:

dipped in chocolate i believe is a tasty alternative!

£3.20 for 6?! That is pretty bad :p

Cool pics :) Are they alive? Tip from me for photographing those sorts of things: stick them in the freezer to either slow them down or kill them, makes photography much easier :LOL:

£3.20 for 6?! That is pretty bad :p

Cool pics :) Are they alive? Tip from me for photographing those sorts of things: stick them in the freezer to either slow them down or kill them, makes photography much easier :LOL:

Dont tend to get too involved in this sort of stuff, but really feel its a bit extreme to Kill something (even an insect) just to get a photo, plenty of other options, patience being one them !!!!!!!!........ And no I am not some tree hugging hippy do gooder than thinks everybody comes back from the netherworld as an ant.

We all have our own boundaries and lines we draw in the sand, but I personally think that is just a step too far. Probably plenty of differing views on the matter, and each and every one will have merits, just thought I would voice mine.

Dave ....

Dont tend to get too involved in this sort of stuff, but really feel its a bit extreme to Kill something (even an insect) just to get a photo, plenty of other options, patience being one them !!!!!!!!........ And no I am not some tree hugging hippy do gooder than thinks everybody comes back from the netherworld as an ant.

We all have our own boundaries and lines we draw in the sand, but I personally think that is just a step too far. Probably plenty of differing views on the matter, and each and every one will have merits, just thought I would voice mine.

Dave ....

To be fair, the few crickets I have killed for testing out stacking, droplet pics and things have all been eaten subsequently by my animals, and would have been killed before being eaten anyways :) Also freezing, for insects and those with very underdeveloped nervous systems is actually apparently a humane method of euthanasia (though I agree, not for anything else ectothermic like higher inverts and reptiles etc).

Taking them back to the pet shop for a refund is not an option, so what can you do with them after taking shots if you don't have a lizard collection to help dispose of them. I think freezing them is a fair idea myself. :shrug: I'm hoping not to get flamed at this point though.

As for the photo's no1 Is great but you have chopped his antenai a tad. no2 looks great to me maybe a slightly higher aperture for a better dof :shrug: What settings did you use out of interest?

Great idea and I may pop round the pet shop myself although I am sure they only have Crickets and they come by the bucket load :LOL:

Maybe you can take a few more, I would look forward to seeing them Karl (y)

Last edited:
They are all alive and feeding well at present, I chose Locust's as they tend to move alot slower than crickets and won't run off and infest the house if they were to escape, so no real need to cool them down also the larger ones move around less than they younger ones.

When I'm finished with them they will be going of to a friend with a few lizards or over the fence into the neighbours garden:LOL::LOL:

Settings
F11 1/200 sec iso 400

When I'm finished with them they will be going of to a friend with a few lizards or over the fence into the neighbours garden:LOL::LOL:

Settings
F11 1/200 sec iso 400

Thanks for my early morning chuckle, I used to keep all sorts of Lizards many years ago and one of my neighbours bought me a matchbox round one particularly hot summer with a cricket in. It's was like a cowboy western at nights with the Crickets chirping away. The second I closed the door on him I went out the back and threw it back over his garden :LOL: :woot:

Thanks for my early morning chuckle, I used to keep all sorts of Lizards many years ago and one of my neighbours bought me a matchbox round one particularly hot summer with a cricket in. It's was like a cowboy western at nights with the Crickets chirping away. The second I closed the door on him I went out the back and threw it back over his garden :LOL: :woot:

Hahaha my wife always wondered why I was so anal about being the only one to handle the crickets when we kept lizards many years back until we went around to a friends house. He had given up keeping lizards six months back and you could still hear the crickets chriping away all over his house.:bang::bang:

love the pics

livefoods.co.uk are pretty cheap and quick (£3.20 for 6 is extreme) - you could always post them to me when you're done with them, my frogs will scoff them !

Just in case people thought I'd eaten these proof they are still going strong:D
4387475659_cefe388c00.jpg

4388273616_6ff2af30e6.jpg

Back