If you use DSCL, which paper?

Photographic :LOL:

Normally the gloss but have got stuff done on the pearl which is very nice indeed.

So far I've had all Lustre

Last edited by a moderator:
Matt 80% of time, customers like it and I do too. Rarely order pearl dont think it suits baby pics myself.

what are the quality of the prints like? just had a look on there website got an offer on.
Do you use the online service?

Last edited:
Excellent results and service as far as I'm converned. Website's a bit of a pig to navigate though.

I've used pearl, matt and glossy for varying images. Some landscape scenes really pop out on pearl, as do cars and other metallic objects. I love matt for landscapes.

I use glossy (portraits) and it looks fine to me, the website is hard to order from.

Last edited:
One of the main things you need to decide before choosing paper is what are you going to do with the print - if you're framing it under standard glass then a matt/lustre finish is best, gloss can really show any slight imperfections in the print under glass and reflections can be a problem.

Gloss is great for photo albums etc although personally I still prefer the lustre as I think it reproduces colours better

Simon

matt prints are nice so are luster/pearl ultimately it depends on what you want to do with the prints

Some rant on DSCL:is it just me finding the P&P with Vat on top is a bit disproportional?

squarepeas said:
Some rant on DSCL:is it just me finding the P&P with Vat on top is a bit disproportional?

VAT will also be a % of your purchase. Postage is fine, just order more prints! I order prints from them every two weeks. Cost to me is always under £20, cost to my clients (I use a local company for prints bigger than A3) is generally a lot more than that so I add my personal prints to any order I make and always do royal mail recorded delivery, as it has always got here next day.

They really do a good job of packaging the prints... Might send them back a box load of the cardboard sleeves and black plastic :) and see if I can get a discount :) lol

Last edited:
I've only used hi gloss - it's good quality. Will be trying others in the coming months.

Never had an issue with them. I always go for the matte prints, they arrive quickly are well packaged and the print quality is brilliant.

Just got my first order back, on matte. Very pleased. Used the Kiosk software, I got it right 1st time, next time it'll be even quicker.
As for the post and packaging cost, I was a bit wary until I saw the effort that goes in to it. Beats the shi.. out of a rolled up print in a tube :)

Always use matte and get fantastic prints apart from when I get prints done that are 16x24 size upwards.
As when they roll the prints up ready to package them they always damage them,
There is always a line right down the image which is caused when they start to roll the print up,
So when ordering large prints I always tell them to place tissue onto the print before rolling it up.
And now get them back undamaged.

everywhere has to charge VAT on their delivery charge. Most places that normally serve consumers just build it in.

I use 95% lustre from DSCL, though pearl does suit some prints perfectly.

just got some prints throught this morning, almost all lustre but i got two pearl ones to see how they came out. i'm really pleased with them, they have a real silvery look to them and the quality compared to the lustre prints seems a class above. i'll happily order them again.

I use them, I had one problem where the prints were slightly damaged and the replacements were in the post the same day, excellent customer service.

I may try some of their other papers based on this thread though.

I've used them all aswell, depending on finishes requested or the purpose needed

The pearl prints look fantastic, I use Lustre (Matt) for framing aswell as gloss or pearl for albums, loose prints

I've ordered lustre before and always had lovely results :)

What about printing larger sizes of photos? I was looking at DSCL for a 16x16 print and it seems they will only do that as a poster and thats done on satin photo paper? Anyone had this before?

Yes, very good. Got a kingfisher done at 60x40 for a local landowner, it hangs in his drawing room.Looks spot on.

Back