Ignition!

Name
Dan
Edit My Images
Yes
After being inspired by Bobiscuit's Caught the fire just in time I thought I'd give it a go as well.

This is my first attempt. I've tweaked the saturation & levels a little bit but that's it. I think I was very lucky in the framing considering the flare up, but no cropping has taken place.

Any comments & criticism welcome as always :)

ignition_800.jpg

That's very cool! How many matches did you light to do that?

I did a similar one with a lighter, here. My thumb hurt afterwards!

Only two matches were hurt during the taking of this photo :D, the one you can see and the one I used to light this one.
I held the second one underneath and behind and that was enough heat to light this one. As soon as it caught I pressed the shutter release and was shocked to see it had worked on the first go.

Only two matches were hurt during the taking of this photo :D, the one you can see and the one I used to light this one.
I held the second one underneath and behind and that was enough heat to light this one. As soon as it caught I pressed the shutter release and was shocked to see it had worked on the first go.

Oh nicely done there! (y)

cool, ive been meaning to do these a while back never got time, think al pop t the local get some matches :)

who knows, I might even get the deodorant out too :-D

who knows, I might even get the deodorant out too :-D
So that's what the smell is! :D

I've just nipped into Poundland and bought myself some coloured pencils, modeling clay and 100 plastic soldiers, got to be able to come up with something from that!

So that's what the smell is! :D

I've just nipped into Poundland and bought myself some coloured pencils, modeling clay and 100 plastic soldiers, got to be able to come up with something from that!

a realllllyyyyy long line for a DOF test lol

a realllllyyyyy long line for a DOF test lol

Now that's an idea...that I won't be persuing :D
I've a sneaking suspicion that some of these soldiers may end up as casualties.

Hi, this is my first post on here - just signed up...

That shot is quality, you were quick! The whole match head hadn't even had time to go...just out of curiosity did you use a remote control? I'm just starting out and have just bought myself a Canon 1000D but it isn't capable of a remote so i'll have to rely on my trigger finger!

I'm trying to source a cheap Macro lens to give stuff like this a go - any ideas?

You aren't too far away from me by the looks of it, found any good sites to shoot in the NE?

That shot is quality, you were quick! The whole match head hadn't even had time to go...just out of curiosity did you use a remote control? I'm just starting out and have just bought myself a Canon 1000D but it isn't capable of a remote so i'll have to rely on my trigger finger!

I'm trying to source a cheap Macro lens to give stuff like this a go - any ideas?

You aren't too far away from me by the looks of it, found any good sites to shoot in the NE?

what lens do you have at the minute?

you can get extension tube and various bits for the front of the lens that let you focus closer.

how much are you looking to spend?

hiya mate - I've got two lenses - the kit lens (Canon 18-55mm) non IS and the Canon EF 75-300mm 1:4-5.6 III ....

Still trying to get to grips with them, only had them since last weekend...I haven't shot anything outdoors yet as the weather has been awful...plus its dark by the time I finish work.

I bought some of those 'macro lenses' off ebay, they arrived today...they are +1, +2, +4 and +10....i need to give them a go to see if they work.

Budget wise I have about £100 spare - I've been keeping one eye on the Trade board on here but all out of my price range so far...I'm doing the same with ebay but they seem quite popular lenses so they attract a canny price.

hiya mate - I've got two lenses - the kit lens (Canon 18-55mm) non IS and the Canon EF 75-300mm 1:4-5.6 III ....

Still trying to get to grips with them, only had them since last weekend...I haven't shot anything outdoors yet as the weather has been awful...plus its dark by the time I finish work.

I bought some of those 'macro lenses' off ebay, they arrived today...they are +1, +2, +4 and +10....i need to give them a go to see if they work.

Budget wise I have about £100 spare - I've been keeping one eye on the Trade board on here but all out of my price range so far...I'm doing the same with ebay but they seem quite popular lenses so they attract a canny price.

will send you a pm as to not hi jack the thread (y)

Welcome to Talk Photography :)
I used my trigger finger for this, looking to get a cable release (you'll be able to get one for the 1000D as well, one here from Amazon or search on ebay for RS-60E3) I just haven't got round to getting one yet. As soon as I heard the fizz of the match catching is when I pressed the shutter release the rest of the way down.

A dedicated macro lens can easily cost you a few hundred pounds and over, so I'd definitely consider other options as well, of which there are a few. You mentioned that you've got a set of macro filters, I'd say use them, you might find you need to practice but who doesn't? Have a search on Flickr for "close up filter" see what you think of other peoples results, but don't think you must have a dedicated macro lens.

If you haven't already, have a look in the "Show us your macro rig" thread and you'll see there's a wide range of things and it doesn't have to be high tech, milk bottles are an option! I wouldn't like to suggest any one thing over another as I haven't used extension rings, reversed lenses or macro filters, plus I haven't been doing this very long myself! All the outdoor macro shots I've taken have been hand-held, but inside the house I tend to use a tripod, if you don't have a tripod that might be something else to consider.

As for places to shoot in the NE, loads everywhere, it just depends what you're looking for. I like going to nature reserves and seeing what I can find, I like shooting insects and I'm not much cop at buildings and the like, I have difficulty with landscapes as well, I just need more practice. Have you tried the quayside or the marina in Sunderland, or theres Washington wildfowl centre. Have a look on google maps satellite view for some ideas near you - gives you a different viewpoint.

That's a great idea - Google Maps is something I would have have thought of...thanks mate, I'll give it a go.

Hopefully I'll get out over the weekend and try a few different shots, I've just set up a Flickr account so I'll try n post a few results on there.

I will have a look for one of those cables too - cheers.

I had a quick look at those macro filters I bought, they seem ok but haven't really tested them yet.

I'll get myself down to Sunderland Marina I think, not too far from where I am in Boldon...I think we've got a couple of wetlands reserves near us too so might get some interesting bird shots (the feathered kind).

Thanks for the advice :)

Welcome to Talk Photography :)
I used my trigger finger for this, looking to get a cable release (you'll be able to get one for the 1000D as well, one here from Amazon or search on ebay for RS-60E3) I just haven't got round to getting one yet. As soon as I heard the fizz of the match catching is when I pressed the shutter release the rest of the way down.

A dedicated macro lens can easily cost you a few hundred pounds and over, so I'd definitely consider other options as well, of which there are a few. You mentioned that you've got a set of macro filters, I'd say use them, you might find you need to practice but who doesn't? Have a search on Flickr for "close up filter" see what you think of other peoples results, but don't think you must have a dedicated macro lens.

If you haven't already, have a look in the "Show us your macro rig" thread and you'll see there's a wide range of things and it doesn't have to be high tech, milk bottles are an option! I wouldn't like to suggest any one thing over another as I haven't used extension rings, reversed lenses or macro filters, plus I haven't been doing this very long myself! All the outdoor macro shots I've taken have been hand-held, but inside the house I tend to use a tripod, if you don't have a tripod that might be something else to consider.

As for places to shoot in the NE, loads everywhere, it just depends what you're looking for. I like going to nature reserves and seeing what I can find, I like shooting insects and I'm not much cop at buildings and the like, I have difficulty with landscapes as well, I just need more practice. Have you tried the quayside or the marina in Sunderland, or theres Washington wildfowl centre. Have a look on google maps satellite view for some ideas near you - gives you a different viewpoint.

Back