Iguana Photography

Name
Marco
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi everyone,
We have recently got an iguana and would love to get some nice shots of him, has anyone on here done any photos of iguanas?
What would be the best way to do this as i dont wasnt to scare him with flashes etc.
Help and advice appreciated.
Thanks,
Marco

I've taken a lot of photos of reptiles mainly snakes, but a few lizards and iggys. They're normaly ok with flash, but iguanas can be skittish at the best of times. I don't think you can beat natuaral sunlight for reptiles though, when we ever get some.

Bluetooth said:
I've taken a lot of photos of reptiles mainly snakes, but a few lizards and iggys. They're normaly ok with flash, but iguanas can be skittish at the best of times. I don't think you can beat natuaral sunlight for reptiles though, when we ever get some.

Thanks for the advice, I would use natural sunlight but as you said, when we actually get some :p. what lens do you use and do you have any pics? :)

Not shot iggy's at home ... Iggy's usually want to climb - this can be used to your advantage if you have the type of viv that has a wire mesh top (exo terra etc). Place a light source above this (I've used a CF softlight on leachianus and other rhac's without issue). The lens needs to be wide enough to get the animal in the frame.

A couple of example images of the leachies. Both shot with a D600 & 50mm f1.8 lens. I had a CF soflight above the viv and a little ambient light in the room.
p1372619746-4.jpg

p1372620042-4.jpg

These Iggy's were shot at a zoo/aquarium in Belgium and were shot with a D7000 and 17-55mm lens @ f2.8 and 55mm .... these were using the available light and have not been processed (other than converting from raw to jpeg and re-sized).
p1403175384-4.jpg

p1403172246-4.jpg

Hope that helps ...

PaulButler said:
Not shot iggy's at home ... Iggy's usually want to climb - this can be used to your advantage if you have the type of viv that has a wire mesh top (exo terra etc). Place a light source above this (I've used a CF softlight on leachianus and other rhac's without issue). The lens needs to be wide enough to get the animal in the frame.

A couple of example images of the leachies. Both shot with a D600 & 50mm f1.8 lens. I had a CF soflight above the viv and a little ambient light in the room.

These Iggy's were shot at a zoo/aquarium in Belgium and were shot with a D7000 and 17-55mm lens @ f2.8 and 55mm .... these were using the available light and have not been processed (other than converting from raw to jpeg and re-sized).

Hope that helps ...

Thanks very much, very helpful, I shall be taking some shots when I receive my 35 and 50mm :) I'm soon going to have my iggys new viv built so once that's done a it'll be a lot bigger than what he's in now I shall start shooting :)

Back