I'm going for it and getting an SLR..

Name
Amanda
Edit My Images
Yes
I have tested compacts, even clever ones to death and NOTHING can take a good pic every time if there's movement. Its crazy!
I've had my boys jumping on the sofa and doing forward rolls and I getting the odd good pic but generally all blurred.

Soooo, I am going to get an SLR and go on a course and start to do things properly!

BUT, which one, what's a good camera / good lenses etc as a good starter package?
I take pics of moving kids and sport mainly if that helps.

I don't mean to sound harsh but its not going to be the camera making the difference whilst stopping movement. It will be the knowlage you have in choosing you shutter speeds and aperture. Ive got 350d by canon and i would recommend it to anyone there pretty cheap now aswell but you may aswell get the 400d. Im sure there will be some nikon equvilents. Dave

Thanks Dave.
I know I have lots to learn and am keen to do so.
I have got very frustrated in trying to find a replacement for my old camera, which is brilliant as a point and shoot.
I wanted something a bit more clever, something I can play with and have fun with.
However, all advice and experience of looking shows that there are no compacts with the ability for good movement shots.
So I am wanting to learn and wanting to get something I can learn with.
I have had the Nikon D40 / Pentax K100D and Canon EOS 350D mentioned to me as good for amateurs so far.

Compacts are not very good at moving subjects because of the shutter lag of anything up to one second. Entry level Nikon equivalent of the 400D would be the D40x, although there are some excellent cameras from Pentax (on-camera anti-shake) & Olympus. Best advice go & play with lots in a store somewhere & see which fits you best. In terms of performance they are all very good for the price.
Happy hunting!

Does it HAVE to be an SLR ? They're a lot of kit to carry about and can be very expensive. I agree, they will take cracking pics, but if its just for taking photos of the kids etc, then something like the Panasonic DMC-FZ8, or newer FZ18. All the functions of an SLR, without the inconvienience of the bulk.

Just me thinking out loud !!

Welcome Amanda (y). Yep, shutter speed is king when shooting fast-moving kids/sports etc, and if indoors, then a flash is probably best too (unless you have a large aperture lens). Canon 400D/Nikon D40/Pentax K100/Olympus E410 are the main entry level models from big manufacturers. Quality-wise and upgrade path-wise, there's not a massive difference between them, so it comes down to how you get on with the 'feel' of the camera. Maybe spend some time in Jessops playing with them, and then use Camerapricebuster to see the cheapest place to buy the one you're after? Or if you would consider second-hand, keep an eye on the classifieds here?

Hi BB

Do they have the instant shutter response like our DSLRs then?.

:)

More or less, if its in Manual focus mode !

Dont get me wrong FB, I'm not dissing SLR's, I'm just offering a possible alternative, the OP can only say no can't she !

I've got a latest, top model, top end compact- and to be honest I wouldn't it use to photograph my kids as they move around too quickly! Even though it's the latest piece of Canon kit the shutter lag will loose me the moment every time. With a DSLR it's a different story I can just about capture things as I see them happen. The autofoccus will be a lot faster on any decent DSLR too plus higher frames-per-second.

Will see if I can upload some demo action pics later!

EDIT- two shots where instant shutter was required.
DSCF0615.jpg

Dscf1925.jpg

Olympus for me all the way.....

But like it has been said, what WE use is irrelevant. What matters is what works for YOU.

I would spend a few hours holding and feeling the different cameras to see which 'fits'.

All have their strengths and weaknesses (and followers), such as the large lens collection of the Canon and Nikon, the small size of the camera and the quality of the kit lenses of Olympus, the Built in image stabilisation of the Pentax / Samsung....... the list goes on.

Compacts are not very good at moving subjects because of the shutter lag of anything up to one second. Entry level Nikon equivalent of the 400D would be the D40x, although there are some excellent cameras from Pentax (on-camera anti-shake) & Olympus. >>>>>Best advice go & play with lots in a store somewhere & see which fits you best<<<<<. In terms of performance they are all very good for the price.
Happy hunting!

That was the advice I took when I was looking and at the time chose the 30D over the 350D just because the size and the weight felt right in my hands.

Back