I'm in love...

Name
Pat MacInnes
Edit My Images
Yes
...with my new Nikon D200.

Got home last night and Warehouse Express had rushed it through to me after ordering it on Thursday (and this entailed sorting out a finance agreement - incredible service).

Got it out of the box and was amazed at how much more substantial if feels compared to my works Canon 30D. Everything's a bit weird –*the lens mount works the other way round, the button configuration will take some getting used to and even the the sound it make sis mad –*but it seems like it'll become second nature after the few minutes I've spent fiddling.

The 18-70mm kit lens is awesome*–*tough, sharp and I love the 67mm front element*– and the DB200 grip makes this feel as good as the D2s I've played with i the past.

Got to have a proper play with the SB800 flash, but that will come in time.

All in all, so far I think I've made the right decision in moving to Nikon rather than buying a 30D for the sake of saving myself £200. Just can't wait to get my new
70-200mm this weekend and it'\s time to start saving for the 10.5mm fisheye.

:):):)

...with my new Nikon D200.

Got it out of the box and was amazed at how much more substantial if feels compared to my works Canon 30D. Everything's a bit weird –*the lens mount works the other way round, the button configuration will take some getting used to and even the the sound it make sis mad –*but it seems like it'll become second nature after the few minutes I've spent fiddling.

yes, congrats, new gear makes me giddy.

you say that, but why did you choose d200 exactly ?

A new D200 was out of my budget, but a 2nd-hand one from Parks wasn't :) Got it end of last week, and like you, can't wait to get cracking!!

I can thoroughly recommend the 10-20mm Sigma on it though ;)

Joxby, I use a 30D in my work as an angling photographer but it's never quite felt right as opposed to my 10D, which did feel right even though it had the rubbish LCD screen.

Bought the D200 because I only have some knackered old EOS film cameras and some rubbish standard zooms, so there's no allegiance to Canon really.

Other reasons for buying:

The D200 is weather sealed; has a bigger sensor; is better built than the 'prosumer' Canons; does the wireless flash thing better (plus the SB800 is cheaper than the 580EX), which is essential for my snowboarding photography; and I just feel that it sits better in my hand (I have big, big hands) than what the Canons do, especially with the vertical grip fitted.

I also don't think much to Canon lenses of late. You really have to spend a fortune on 'L' spec lenses to get great quality and the results from lower priced Nikkor lenses just means more bang for my buck.

I absolutely love the SB800. The add-on battery that fits on the side is a great idea to speed up recycling times (another reason for going Nikon) and it’s just perfect every time I shoot, more than I can say for my 500EX, although it is very, very used and abused ☺

Reddeathdrinker, here's been a bit of a fad at my work for people to get extreme wide-angle zooms. Because we use Canons, two guys have the 10-22mm Canon EF-S and another has the Sigma 10-20mm. I'm not impressed by the results from the Sigma, but as it's only one lens, it may be a duff. I'd have to see others in action first before I condemn it fully. The price is good though.

The Canon 10-22mm is good but the results I've seen from the Nikon wide-angles (what one of our freelancers uses exclusively) are better. Anyway, I'd only be buying a lens like that for the wide setting so I might as well fork out £400+ for the 10.5mm Nikon, as it has a better aperture and the results look awesome.

The only downside I have with moving to Nikon is that I won't be able to use a Canon 17-40mm f/4 'L' lens - truly amazing and tough as old boots.

Excellent news on the D200 - you like it? Finance agreement for me - couldn't wait to save up so phoned Warehouse Express and did the 12-months interest free thingy.

Back