I'm infected.....virus removal

Vic

Edit My Images
Yes
Hey guys,

Last night I seemed to have downloaded a virus onto my computer. It started to shut down all my applications everytime i re-started and I couldnt basically do anything. Finally did a system restore but I know that wont get rid of it and now when I click on links it takes me to advertisments.

I could maybe get to a repair shop this week however is there anything you would reccomend to get rid of this myself? I can see a lot of websites promoting virus removal but dont want to purchase them if it aint legit :cautious:

Also any reccomendations on the best anti-virus/firewall? I currently have AVG but used to use Norton.

Thanks(y)
Vicky.

I don't hold much trust in anything other than Eset Nod32 (link above) or Kaspersky - my personal preference being the latter.

You may also want to try the free version of malwarebytes anti-malware, here: http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php. It has decent detection rates and it very effective at removing many forms of malware.

download spybot search and destroy not an anti virus but will remove trojans and its free the free anti virus i use is avast you could also try trend micro housecall a free online antivirus

:popcorn:

This could be a long thread.....

Thanks guys for the reponses!

I think eset sounds like a good investment so I've downloaded the free trial and Ill see if its any good.

I remember spybot also and I might use that to give it a good sweep.

Thanks again guys (y)

Finally did a system restore but I know that wont get rid of it and now when I click on links it takes me to advertisments.

You need to turn off System Restore as the virus etc may remain on your
system (y)

You need to turn off System Restore as the virus etc may remain on your
system (y)

Jeez good save! Just switched it off now. Thats me running spybot and looks like its picking up quite a few little bad guys :razz:

Back