Beginner I'm lost! Help me choose a camera requirements detailed.

Edit My Images
No
Hi all, after spending 2 days reading and researching I'm still non the wiser on what I should spend my money on.

I run a little online store and primarily want the camera for two things, product photography and taking quality beam shots of flashlights in the dark with as little noise as possible, it's the latter that I really need to improve on,

I have a maximum budget of around £450.

I would also love to photograph my products out in the countryside with a shallow depth of field. While the camera will be a business purchase I would still like to use it as a day to day camera and hopefully start to photograph nature while I'm out and about in the fields.

I've been looking at either a DSLR such as the Nikon D3200 with the kit lens and an additional f1.8G 50mm AF-S, or a 'point and shoot' such as the RX100 mk2.

I am leaning more towards the RX100 mk2 purely because it seems like the more fully loaded option. I really can't justify spending £££ on quality lenses for a DSLR.

After all the rambling I suppose the main question I'd like answered that would help me decide which camera to buy is which camera would provide the best quality image of a beam of light taken at night?

I'll look forward to your replies and advice.

The 2 specific requirements you have more or less rule out the point and shoot. Both for low light images and for shallow depth of field you need as large a sensor as possible. Unless you now want to go and look at all your DSLR or CSC alternatives, just buy the Nikon.

Agree with Phil really - I would expect the D3200 + 50 f1.8 to be easier to do the things you want with.

Thanks for your replies guys, I guess DSLR is the way to go then.

Now I suppose it's just a case of choosing one :-/

... such as the Nikon D3200 with the kit lens and an additional f1.8G 50mm AF-S,
I think that Nikon plus 50mm lens is a fine choice, considering the camera prices right now.

There was an advert on the telly, I think it was the 3200 two-lens kit for a ridiculous price 350-ish ... and the long zoom always comes in handy.

Last edited:
Hi all, firstly thank you all for swaying me in the direction of a dslr :)

I went for the D3200, I'm holding off on the faster lens for the moment until I get to grips with the camera.

And the GAS may be upon you (Gear Acquisition Syndrome ....)

Back