I'm sorry... another tripod thread

Name
Matt
Edit My Images
Yes
Sorry :bonk: but I'd like some opinions / advice on a new tripod...

I'm looking at the Manfrotto 190XPROB + 804RC2 from Morris Photo : clicky

This is the best price I've found on said kit (fotosense were £4.95 cheaper but £8 for delivery made them more expensive)

I know it's good kit, I love the centre column feature, and I only intend on buying a tripod once (for at least 2/3 years anyway) so I want to do it right :)

Any advice, alternatives or general thoughts?

good choice, sturdy set of legs, head is dependant on your shooting style, i went for a ball head for quick manouvebility, iirc the 804 is a 3 way head which is great for landscapes :)

A good choice I would say. However try the manfrotto Tipod chooser link below.

http://www.manfrotto.com/Jahia/site/manfrotto

You may have to download an active X to get it to work but it will give you a good idea for your needs. My tip is watch the weight of your kit especially with your longer lenses, they can topple forward and make horrible smashing noises. Go for a good max load capability.

Seems a good price Matt, RGB tech are £130.48 + delivery which is £9.50 unless you can collect from them :)

Just another thought.... Who's going on Sunday 13th to York that has a tripod I could test ;) :D

Retro - I don't think anything will be too bad, my cheapy tripod manages to hold my 70-300 f4-5.6 at max magnification so I can't see the Manfrotto toppling over, but I'll have a play with that link to see what happens (y)

Alternatively, I might just purchase the legs and leave the head for another day, as LeeP suggested to me earlier :LOL:

Any advice, alternatives or general thoughts?

My advice would be to try to understand how you plan to use the tripod for example- Do you need to carry it through a field?:thinking:
Do you really need to be able to extend to 7 foot (for example?):help:
Will your lightweight field tripod support your new 600mm f4?:puke:

I think heads are less of a problem as they can be swapped

2-3 years use Mattyh?

What the Hell do you do with them to get such poor usage? I gave my last one away, at 25 years old I finally got a replacement

With a heavy duty ball head btw

Remind me Tuesday and I may even remember to let you have a play (with the tripod!)

I have to agree with out there sportysnaps. the 190X ProB for example is a very good general use tripod and is very versatile. It is however not very suited to long lens use as it doesn't extend tall enough without using the centre column and its not stiff enough. Im now after a coloumnless carbon fibre Gitzo to use for long lenses with my gimbal head.

If you buy right a tripod should outlast you and your kids!

So much depends on whether it's a tripod to use round the studio. home or garden, or not too far from the car, in which case weight doesn't really matter and the heavier the better.

If you're looking for a tripod that's portable, compact and rigid, that's a different animal altogether, but the ideal answer is one of each - no tripod is truly perfect on all fronts. You'd be surprised what you can pick up silly cheap on fleabay if you're looking for a really solid old job to stand up the corner for when it's needed .

My advice would be to try to understand how you plan to use the tripod for example- Do you need to carry it through a field?:thinking:
Do you really need to be able to extend to 7 foot (for example?):help:
Will your lightweight field tripod support your new 600mm f4?:puke:

I think heads are less of a problem as they can be swapped

In all honesty I want a general use tripod, something that can be used in alot (not all) situations but I guess I'd use it for mostly landscapes at present, however I'm trying to expand my horizons into other avenues.

2-3 years use Mattyh?

What the Hell do you do with them to get such poor usage? I gave my last one away, at 25 years old I finally got a replacement

With a heavy duty ball head btw

Remind me Tuesday and I may even remember to let you have a play (with the tripod!)

That'd be ideal for me, would love to own one tripod that long, but I'm a bit accident prone :p :LOL:

Thanks for the offer.... Don't forget I'm coming Wednesday, not Tuesday though :D

I have to agree with out there sportysnaps. the 190X ProB for example is a very good general use tripod and is very versatile. It is however not very suited to long lens use as it doesn't extend tall enough without using the centre column and its not stiff enough. Im now after a coloumnless carbon fibre Gitzo to use for long lenses with my gimbal head.

Thats an interesting point, I never considered that, needs more thought I think..
If you buy right a tripod should outlast you and your kids!

So much depends on whether it's a tripod to use round the studio. home or garden, or not too far from the car, in which case weight doesn't really matter and the heavier the better.

If you're looking for a tripod that's portable, compact and rigid, that's a different animal altogether, but the ideal answer is one of each - no tripod is truly perfect on all fronts. You'd be surprised what you can pick up silly cheap on fleabay if you're looking for a really solid old job to stand up the corner for when it's needed .

I'm not overly worried about the weight, but obviously the lighter the better as long as it's sturdy enough plus, I don't generally get that far from the car :D.

to sum up: ARRRGGGHHH I don't know!!! :LOL::bang:

Back