iMac Problem

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
I have a problem with my 11 month old 27” iMac Pro and I’m booked in to the Apple store near Bristol tomorrow. It’s running on High Sierra, I’m prompted to upgrade to Mojave but was advised to wait until the bugs were sorted. The reason I’m posting is to see if anyone has an idea what the problem might be and I should get an answer either tomorrow or in a couple of days Incan share it. I had a second conversation with an Apple technician today..the first one was on Friday and the problem was unresolved. Today the technician said he’d never come across such a scenario ..which is why I’ve posted this...and booked me the store visit to what Apple call the Genius Bar.

In the last few days after clicking on the Sleep option when I leave the computer I return later or the next day expecting a mouse click to awaken it but I’ve found the power is off. I pressed the on/off button and it hasn’t powered up. To get it to do that I’ve had to pull the 3-pin power cable plug out of the wall socket and push it back in. Over a couple of days I’ve established that it will re-start with the mouse up to 18 minutes after which it powers off. I watch BTSport on it and to be able to do that I have to go into Safari preferences-Privacy and untick two boxes. One box is ‘Ask websites not to track me’ the other is ‘Prevent cross-site tracking’ The third box is ‘Block all cookies’ which,of course is unticked as most websites require that their cookies are not blocked. If I don’t do this I get an ‘’error’ message. After Googling it I discovered I had to untick these two boxes. Yesterday I watched the FA Cup semi-final Wolves v Watford and went to disable the two boxes to find that the ‘Ask websites not to track me’ box had disappeared’. After the game I went back to Safari - Privacy settings to tick the other box. I also clicked on a box underneath it named’Manage Website Data. It showed many website addresses so I highlighted them all and rather than click on ‘Remove All’ I wanted to delete them so I pressed the keyboard delete button . The computer switched off. Absolutely no power. The on/off button would not switch it on. I had to pull out the 3-pin plug and re-insert it into the wall socket and,as previously sign back in. I called Apple again.

Today the Apple tech chap took over the iMac remotely and asked me to carry out various actions. I can’t recall which one it was but the computer clicked off..a loud crash click too. The screen was black. The tech chap said he could see it was black. I pulled the 3-pin plug out and replaced it but this time the computer remained dead. Not a peep. It was at this point the technician said I need to take it to the Genius Bar in-store as he’d never seen this happen before and suggested a major hardware failure and suggested I might be given a replacement. He’d carried out a hard drive check..called Verify Permissions..something like that ..and declared the drive sound and no sign of a virus or malware. A complete mystery to him,he said.

That’s my ‘starter for 10 and no conferring’..Lol. There are many tech-savvy members on here and I wondered if, maybe, someone will come up with the answer or a couple of possibilities. An interesting exercise, I think. I wouldn’t normally have posted this but what has prompted me is the technician stating that he’d never come across it before. He also said that Mojave,which was introduced last September, is, after some ironing out of bugs, now stable. I expect the store technician will upgrade it but this isn’t the problem.

Leave it to the Apple Techs. They (should) know what they're doing.

Sorry never heard of that, but I can confirm I’ve been in Mojave for a few months now and seems fine, nothing has been an issue, well at least not that I’ve found.

Leave it to the Apple Techs. They (should) know what they're doing.

Andrew.. You’ve misunderstood the post. They were Apple technicians I spoke to by phone. It’s going to Apple tomorrow on a pre-arranged appointment . It’s in its box. Have another read of the first and last paragraphs and you’ll see that as it’s a mystery I thought it might be interesting to proffer some suggestions before I get the answer. The two Techs I spoke to, one on Saturday and one today who took me through various actions were Apple Support Techs. They weren’t able to sort it. In the store they will have diagnostic equipment.

Last edited:
Hi, Scott. I’m sure that if they sort it they will install Mojave . Good to know you’re e running on it problem-free so if. I get a new one I’ll install it.

Sorry never heard of that, but I can confirm I’ve been in Mojave for a few months now and seems fine, nothing has been an issue, well at least not that I’ve found.

Sorry... Forgot to click ‘quote’ so you get an alert .

Andrew.. You’ve misunderstood the post.
No I didn't. after 35 years doing everything from machine code programming to hardware repair I know that you can only analyse a problem by analysing the problem. If you wanted something else you could have written something like "come and waste your time guessing at the problem with me".

Nevertheless I am sure the Apple guys will fix your computer quickly and efficiently. They always have when I've passed stuff to them.

No I didn't. after 35 years doing everything from machine code programming to hardware repair I know that you can only analyse a problem by analysing the problem. If you wanted something else you could have written something like "come and waste your time guessing at the problem with me".

Nevertheless I am sure the Apple guys will fix your computer quickly and efficiently. They always have when I've passed stuff to them.
I bet they’ll just replace it and you’ll/we’ll never know what is was that caused it;) .

I’m sorry you feel like that. It’s an unusual problem and I thought it might be interesting to see if anyone had any ideas. Having read your credentials you we’re just the sort of person who might be able to shed some light on it... which you have now. I’d have appreciated that. They put a diagnosis check on it and found a software problem and have kept it to identify what it is and will get back to me in a couple of days. I had to give permission for them to wipe the HD. They will also install Mojave.

Once again, apologies for irking you so much.

I bet they’ll just replace it and you’ll/we’ll never know what is was that caused it;) .

Lol.. Yes..spot on. The technician explained a few possibilities, one being the System Management Control. On the diagnosis page it had a cross against it. Others were ticked green. Clever stuff.

I’ll leave it at that now but thanks for your input. (y)

Back