iMac to Macbook Pro - USB Connections

Marc

TPer Emeritus
Edit My Images
Yes
I've just ordered an M2 Macbook Pro to replace my iMac. Of course, I'm going to lose my 4 USB ports to be replaced with 2 Thunderbolt ports so now I'm looking for a small USB hub that can plug into one of the Thunderbolt ports and itself have both USB-A & USB-C ports so I can plug external hard drives into it as well as a charging cable (USB-C and lightning)

I've had a search on Amazon, but struggling to find what I need so any recommendation would be much appreciated.

TIA

I have an OWC hub, that is spendy but good, with 4 Thunderbolt ports, and SD, audio out, Ethernet, 3 USB. And it is powered, so no need for Mac charger.

I think these things change specs often.

I had a different, cheaper one, but it went flaky and got binned. Can't remember the make, sorry...

The PSU for the M2 MBP (the 13 inch) is 67W

Fast charge is supported with 85W external USB PD

Once you have got past 85W for fast charge, I doubt you will notice any difference between 87W and 100W

I've been using an "Ablewe 5 in 1 Aluminum USB Hub" for the last few years on my 2018 MBP and its still on Amazon at £19.99...

Ablewe 5 in 1 Aluminum USB Hub FZ82 P1010114.JPG

I have something similar to that too, but it hasn’t got more than one USBC / Thunderbolt port, I see it more as a breakout device to give me other connections.

Back