Beginner Image size for uploading

Name
Mike
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm new here so I hope you'll understand.

Instructions clearly state that images must comply with the website requirements but as much as I've scoured this site, I couldn't find clear instructions on how to upload images and what the appropriate size is. It's like being in Wales where there are loads of Speed camera warnings but no indication of what the designated speed is.

I did find reference to images being transferred from an album being no greater than 1024 pixels at its widest edge. But that isn't the same as uploading an image. Surely, that's just transferring from where it is already stored in a gallery album on the website. As for reducing an image to 1024 pixels at its longest edge, that's a crazy size. I tried reducing a couple of my images to that size and they appeared smaller than a postage stamp. Expand them to a viewable size and they become pixelated. Now I've discovered if I have already reduced them to the size we would use for DPI competitions 1050 pixels they reduce to 1024 ok.

I didn't really want to start a new thread for this but finding instructions; even a link to a moderator or site administrator, proved unsuccessful. Surely something as relevant as this should be in the rules section?

mikejduk

My understanding is that the forum automatically resize for this website. If copying from Flickr which I think the majority do, grab the BB code and select picture size as large.

As for finding the help area, it's at the bottom of the forum pages under site help & support. linky >http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/site-help-and-support.13/

Hope this helps, and those speed cameras in my homeland are a pain;)

its longest edge, that's a crazy size. I tried reducing a couple of my images to that size and they appeared smaller than a postage stamp.
That's not a crazy size, Mike. Most computer monitors run at about 100 pixels per inch, so 1024 pixels will be about 10" across. That's a decent size. If yours are like postage stamps then you're doing something wrong.
Now I've discovered if I have already reduced them to the size we would use for DPI competitions 1050 pixels they reduce to 1024 ok.
It really shouldn't make any difference at all if you're doing it right. 6000 -> 1050 -> 1024 will give you essentially the same result as 6000 -> 1024 directly.

How are you resizing them?

Last edited:
If you've uploaded direct into a post, did you upload as a thumbnail... That WOULD leave a 1024px image as a tiny image at the bottom of your post...

Back