Impending Dilemna

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
I will be getting the Canon 1dMKIIN at the end of October (the hard way as Jessops knocked me back on the interest free credit)

Something dawned on me last night...I do a lot of landscape stuff and the EFS18-55 kit lens I have with my 350d will not work on the 1d.

I know, I know, why on earth would anyone want to put a lens like that on such a good body, but I am now going to have to wait several months before I can afford the 17-40L and if I don't make the 1d body happen soon, it may never happen.

Is there any kind of adapter ring available to make EFS lenses fit an EF-only body?

Or is my only option to go for something like this as a stop gap?
It looks like it might be cheap and nasty but surely can't be any worse than the kit lens.

Shameless bump.

Getting the 17-40L first isn't an option.
The longer I leave it, the less chance of getting the body before the next financial squeeze comes along.

As I understand it, one of the problems with EFS lenses on a full frame body is that there is a possibility of damage to either lens, or, worse, camera body, as the distance between the internals of the lens and the mirror on the body is too short......I think. So I wouldn't think it's possible to use the lens on the new body.

You could always try eBay for a budget lens in the range you're looking for - I picked up my Tamron 19-35mm f3.5-4.5 for about £60 from there - is a cracking lens which I wish I got more use out of now - sadly the gap between that and my 70-300 is just too great, and as a result the kit lens tends to see more action. Having said all that though, I've just checked eBay and they seem to be going for a lot more dosh now. There is one on there which is yet to have a bid on it though - you MIGHT be able to persuade the seller to let it go direct and pull the auction?

I agree though - you've GOT to commit to getting the body while you are focused on doing so - otherwise as you say it will get put off again.

If you have a look around (google) I'm sure you'll find examples of people getting efs lenses to work on full frame bodies. Irc it's just a matter of nipping a little bit off the len's mounting ring. However it is possible to trap the mirror as it lifts/falls which could damage it so you'd be better to look for a decent second hand wide angle lens, it need'nt be auto focus.

As Witch says EF-S lenses are optimised for 1.6X digital sensors. They achieve the wider angle of view by protruding further into the camera body than EF lenses, and some of them will even foul the camera mirror if they're used with a non-compatible body. I seem to recall people taking Dremel type liberties with the EF-S mount to get them to fit other cameras, but it doesn't make a lot of sense to me to risk damage to a 1 series camera for the sake of getting a lens to fit, let alone a kit lens.

One option is get an earlier pre -digital Canon FD lens for which you may be able to get an adapter to fit the 1D. You'll lose AF and you'll probably have to use stop down metering, but speed is seldom of the essence with landscape work anyway. :)

CT said:
One option is get an earlier pre -digital Canon FD lens for which you may be able to get an adapter to fit the 1D. You'll lose AF and you'll probably have to use stop down metering, but speed is seldom of the essence with landscape work anyway. :)
Only problem with that is they tend to be quite pricey. Another option would/could be one of the OM/EOS adapters. Access to all those lovely Zuiko lenses dirt cheap.

and here's a link to the sigma Bachs
http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/lenses/sigma_1850_3556/index.htm

Im sure this isnt what you want to hear but to be honest with a camera like the 1D trying to find shortcuts is only going to end in tears and dissapointment. Think saving and waiting till you can afford the 17-40 is the only real solution.

Thanks guys for the advice,
I am still definitely getting the 17-40L when the dust settles and will just have to manage with 28mm on the Tamron till then.

Back