Imperial College sunset (and now St Pancras)

Name
Jonathan
Edit My Images
Yes
IMGP5902_web.jpg

View from the sixth floor of the Mechanical Engineering building, Imperial College London. The tower is Queen's Tower, which is all that remains of the old Imperial Institute.

Shot in RAW, processed in CS2.

What do you think? :) the tiniest comment is really, really appreciated!

Jonathan

They are dull and boring indeed - but everything brightens up suddenly when lectures are over and you get to fiddle with exposure and not Fourier transforms all day!

Oh, and while I'm at it - an HDR shot of St Pancras that I took the day before Eurostar came:

Untitled_HDR_00_web.jpg

I worked a lot harder on the composition of this than the sunset picture - what do you think?
(sorry it's lost quite a lot of quality in the JPEG compression)

I prefer the second to the first - lots going on in the second one - the arches, the barrier, and the person (I assume) on the escalator. Plus I like the vanishing point of the rails.

1st is okay but perhaps not composed as well as it might be - sky looks great though but the buildings are competing for my attention.

Keep 'em coming!

I think the IC one is lacking a bit in a clear point to grab your attention.

Love the St Pancras one though. I think big, empty buildings (or almost empty in this case) can make for a really interesting picture.

two canny photos, love what you have achieved with the St Pancras shot.

Thanks all :)

Technically, what could I have done to make them look better? I'm a total newcomer to RAW. For instance, why is there noise in the red clouds when it was shot at ISO 200?

By the way, I shot both on my Pentax K100D with the kit lens - because it's wide. I'd love to use my 50mm f1.4 but all the shots I want need an FOV of no more than about 30mm (1.5x crop).

Time to sell my body for a DA* 16-50mm, perhaps?

(that's an offer, by the way.

WTB: Pentax SMC DA* 16-50mm f/2.8 ED AL IF SDM.
For sale: one body, mint condition, very little signs of use. Some fungus apparent but no serious cosmetic flaws. Sharp but soft round the edges.)

Not knowing how you processed them, can;t really say much about the noise in the clouds.

I shouldn;t get too hung up on it. If you look at my recent posts they're very noisy. As lonmg as the finished product looks good at print size, then that's all that matters ultimately.

I prefer the first shot but it ssems like it could handle a little more contrast.

What did the image out of the camera look like?

I prefer the first shot but it ssems like it could handle a little more contrast.

What did the image out of the camera look like?

IMGP5902_as_shot.jpg

That's the .PEF converted to jpeg using the CS2 preset called 'Camera Raw Defaults'.

Back