In Bruges

Name
Ciaran
Edit My Images
Yes
I whisked my girlfriend away to Bruges this weekend just gone as a little surprise (in that she thought we were spending the weekend in London until we walked into the Eurostar office). We were treated to some exceptional snowfall and the entire canal system froze over, making for some pretty spectacular scenery. Given the season, we had the town near enough to ourselves with only a few tourist groups hardy enough to brave the -10 degree weather.

This was my first outing with the D7000, Tamron 17-50mm and Nikon 50mm f/1.8. Generally I was really pleased with the quality of snaps that came back with me, although I can't help but feel my inexperience with Photoshop has meant that I have 'burned' some of the images in post-processing. The sheer light and white snow necessitated an element of HDR work on some photos to avoid pure white skies and toneless pictures.

As for Bruges - wow. This is an absolutely beautiful place. I am never one to return to somewhere I have visited unless something truly pulls me back and Bruges has done just that - I am already looking at going back in the Summer to see just what a different place it looks when it is in full bloom. Notwithstanding the scenery, the food was an absolute delight. We ate some of the best meals of our lives over the two nights we were in Bruges.

Advice, critique and thoughts are welcomed. There are several more on my Flickr and comments there are welcome too. :)

Thanks for looking. (y)

Last edited:
I thought number 2 was the street rather than the canal, lol. I like number 5. Is 6 hdr? Dunno if its cos I'm on my phone but it needs a bit more contrast imo.

I'm off to Brussels and Bruges next month, can't wait.

I think number 5 and 9 are the winners for me. Number 3 looks like you've tried to bring out the detail in the underexposed elements too much so it's become quite flat? Perhaps taking it back would help give the photo more depth.

I thought number 2 was the street rather than the canal, lol. I like number 5. Is 6 hdr? Dunno if its cos I'm on my phone but it needs a bit more contrast imo.

I'm off to Brussels and Bruges next month, can't wait.

I think you are right - the contrast does need upping. Make sure to see Mannequin Pis when in Brussels and if you need any recommendations for dining in Bruges, feel free to ask. Some superb restaurants.

I think number 5 and 9 are the winners for me. Number 3 looks like you've tried to bring out the detail in the underexposed elements too much so it's become quite flat? Perhaps taking it back would help give the photo more depth.

I agree that something isn't quite right about #3. It is a bracketed exposure but I am going to revisit the HDR merge to see if I can make a better job of it. Thanks for the kind words regarding the other two shots. (y)

I really like #5 and #10!

Would love to go to Bruges with the Camera at some point in my life.

Go there. It's absolutely beautiful. Such a peaceful place in parts too. And glad you liked my modest efforts at catching the town's beauty! (y)

Back