Inconsistent results

Name
Martin
Edit My Images
No
Hi All,

Bit of a weird one im struggling to understand, i printed an image last night from lightroom via Print studio pro onto Fotospeed smooth cotton 300, the image came out with a strong blue cast in the clouds and slightly red on mountain area which had yellows and browns in it. Printed the exact same photo via lightroom print module and it came out much closer to the edited image (very close in fact). Both prints used the profile i received from Fotospeed after sending them the test print. All printer settings were the exact same as well. Does anyone have an idea as to what could cause this when using the same ICC profile and same print driver and settings i.e paper type etc...? N.B This is using a Mac on Ventura.

Thanks

Wolfy.

None too sure but I have often read that (such) problems can occur when 'double profiling' is happening.

AFAIK when printing you either want the software or the printer to handle the profile. But if both are engaged then the print looks wrong.

None too sure but I have often read that (such) problems can occur when 'double profiling' is happening.

AFAIK when printing you either want the software or the printer to handle the profile. But if both are engaged then the print looks wrong.
Thanks for the reply, could be something like that I guess, it’s the first time I have used the proof copy system in Lightroom, I always use the soft proofing but have never created a proof copy, read somewhere that when you create a proof copy it embeds the icc profile to it, maybe that could be the cause? Thanks again

It's not possible to double profile on a Mac.

Thanks for the reply, could be something like that I guess, it’s the first time I have used the proof copy system in Lightroom, I always use the soft proofing but have never created a proof copy, read somewhere that when you create a proof copy it embeds the icc profile to it, maybe that could be the cause? Thanks again
A proof copy doesn't embed anything. It's just a copy (like a virtual copy) of the original for you to edit with your chosen profile without affecting the original edited image.

Also, it's not possible to double profile on a Mac. The driver detected that you are printing using a profile and disables its own profiling automatically.

As for the problem you're having, it's difficult to say for sure but did you run a nozzle check. Are you sure all nozzles where firing for the first print?

It's not possible to double profile on a Mac.
Not being familiar with Mac, I had no idea .
A proof copy doesn't embed anything. It's just a copy (like a virtual copy) of the original for you to edit with your chosen profile without affecting the original edited image.

Also, it's not possible to double profile on a Mac. The driver detected that you are printing using a profile and disables its own profiling automatically.

As for the problem you're having, it's difficult to say for sure but did you run a nozzle check. Are you sure all nozzles where firing for the first print?
IMO always good to do a nozzle check, especially if unused for a few days!

However, @wolfyccfc mentioned using Print studio pro as an intermediate stage (between LR and the printing) when the odd colours printed vs LR module alone.

Could Print studio pro be a cause of the problem?

Hi and thanks for the reply. Yes I always run a nozzle test print sheet before I start printing, all clear and patches matched the screen

Hi and thanks for the reply. Yes I always run a nozzle test print sheet before I start printing, all clear and patches matched the screen

Okay, so is this the first time you are printing via the Canon App? Is it normally okay?

What are the steps you take to get the image into the Canon app and what do you do from there to start the print

Okay, so is this the first time you are printing via the Canon App? Is it normally okay?

What are the steps you take to get the image into the Canon app and what do you do from there to start the print
Have always used the print studio pro plugin in Lightroom and i previously preferred it to the Lightroom print module, however this is the first time on Ventura as it’s taken sometime for canon to update it to work. Action steps in both methods are similar I have just always found the plug-in more user friendly. I will test a different print on both modules using the same paper as before and see what we get?

Check that your print driver hasn't switched to Airprint

This happened to me a couple of times after an update. Airprint is a cut down very basic driver by Apple.

So I finally got round doing some more testing, its definitely Canon print studio pro that's the issue, just printing a seascape on fotospeed smooth cotton which has pastily blue/white theme, using Print studio pro the prints come out with a much bolder colour and also a pink hue in the sky. Using Lightroom print module the print is much closer to the intended print. I nozzle checked before starting to print and all was good, also printed the image twice with Print studio to issue it was not a first print/start up issue (both prints matched), then printed in Lightroom with completely different result using same icc profile which is a private one from Fotospeed. Only weird thing I noticed when using print studio pro that was I made all the settings in the plugin i.e matte paper, rear tray, high quality etc but then when pressing print the Mac print dialogue box came up and checking the settings it was on Premium Pro gloss, standard quality, so I had to change these to what I wanted, the driver was correct and not using the AirPrint as someone earlier said to check. Think I will park using Canon Print studio until I figure out what could be causing it.

Perhaps drop a line to Keith Cooper @ Northlight images.

I have found his help & insight very useful:)

Back