Increasing camera/flash synch speed

Hacker

TPer Emeritus
Name
Colin
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm currently using a D70 with SB600 flash and the fastest synch speed is 1/500th, are there any hints, tips or techniques to increase the shutter speed and still have a usable image?

Thanks,

Colin.

You're snookered unless the flashgun has a hi speed sync facility (Which isn't true sync but it does enable you to use speeds right up to the max shutter speed of your camera)

1/500th is pretty good btw for a focal plane shutter, so score one for Nikon there. ;)

Thanks for the replies, I'm sure I heard or read somewhere recently that there was a way of increasing the synch speed but I can't remember where or when it was.

Maybe it was the beer. :naughty:

No, it wasn't the beer. Just been doing a little bit of experimenting in the name of flash science.

experiment......

Tried my dodgy old toshiba es30 flash on the d70 and it will sync up to the max shutter of 1/8000 of a second. Hideously under-exposed though as the flash can't produce enough power. What did then help was putting the sb800 in su4 mode and using it as a slave ;)

Conclusion.....

With the speedlight on, it will only sync up to 1/500th and it does this in commander mode too, as you have to have the internal flash up to trigger the remote. This is because the camera knows it's a dedicated unit.

Solution......

If you wanted to, you could cover the four extra pins on the sb600 with insulating tape so the camera doesn't know it's a dedicated unit. Then just set the flash to the settings you need. manual or GN I guess.

Hope that helps?

Back