Critique Indian Meal Moth

Name
Tim
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm over in Spain at the moment, and going a bit stir crazy knowing my garden will be now filling up with plenty of bugs for me to find, yet I can't get to them. I'm in the city centre and the only flowers I have easy access to are on a small balcony. The soil in the pots is bone dry and I don't have much hope of finding life in there. There is a tiny little spider that has spun it's web on one of the plants, but I haven't yet had the motivation to try to capture it. I went to the park a couple of days ago (without my camera) and again there wasn't much around. I did see some ants on the trunk of a large tree, but that was it. The problem is it is so sunny and there is a distinct lack of humidity in the air, everything in too dry and bright!

Never mind, I'm working myself up to an early morning bug hunt along the side of the river. I just need to plan an early night and try not to drink quite so much beer before bed ;)

Anyway, after seeing so many great posts here (isn't this area of the forum amazingly active at the moment??) I couldn't sit by any longer so got my kit together and went exploring the apartment last night. I spied a small dark streak on the ceiling that turned out to be this moth:

Indian Meal Moth by Tim.Garlick, on Flickr

This is a far from perfect stack, but I took solace in the fact I was stood on a chair, with my arms above my head and trying to shoot with the camera upside-down to get a good angle. I managed about 9, but also incorporated a couple of images I took at a higher aperture.

Perhaps more interesting is what I saw when comparing the images close up. Below is a not-very-scientific comparison of the same area at different apertures. Hopefully it is apparent that there is more detail at a lower F Stop (and you can make out the distinctive toothed scales towards the lower potion of the image which I thought was pretty cool).

Indian Meal Moth - Aperture comparrison by Tim.Garlick, on Flickr

I was beginning to wonder if this stacking lark was worth all the extra effort, time and hassle, so it was nice to see a clear demonstration of why it is useful. I have my doubts that diffraction is really as big an issue as is made out, and maybe we shouldn't worry too much about it; but seeing this I believe there is some truth to the matter.

At full size the differences become less noticeable and we are back to the question of "is it good enough?" Quite often, images can look better without stacking when fine detail is not so apparent, and this is probably more true at lower magnifications. For me though, I think I'll always try to get as much detail crammed in as possible, and will persevere with my stacking technique to try to improve. Although it is certainly not appropriate much of the time (you'll likely fail to get any action or interesting behaviour shots when stacking), I think it is a good skill to have, and great to be able to pull out of the bag when needed. Plus it's very challenging which is all part of the fun ;)

Last edited:
Well done Tim for finding some bugs! ;)

But certainly interesting quality is so different. Guess this may be the stopping down factor.

Like you love the activity in this section at the moment and all the experiments going on to try work out what's best where and when though think we have @GardenersHelper to blame for that :D.

Now need to get out and about to get some shots. Will wait for winter to do proper scientific comparison of all the possibilities I have in my setup.

Nice post. Clear corroboration of the detail-squashing effects of small apertures, and IMO a very balanced analysis of the circumstances in which that might or might not matter (much, or more than other factors).

Like you love the activity in this section at the moment and all the experiments going on to try work out what's best where and when though think we have @GardenersHelper to blame for that :D.

I think there's rather more to it than that Bryn. There are lots of people pumping good stuff into this forum, mostly nothing whatever to do with me. :) I suspect the change in the weather is a major factor - there are just so many more opportunities out there now than there has been for months.

Now need to get out and about to get some shots. Will wait for winter to do proper scientific comparison of all the possibilities I have in my setup.

"For all the possibilities" - fair enough. But I hope you keep doing some experiments and tests along the way, as ideas and opportunities come up, to try new things and test out potential improvements to your setups, subject matter, capture technique, processing etc. I find that if I concentrate too much on getting shots without much reflection I can miss new (to me) opportunities and miss things that are going wrong/drifting out of kilter/could be done better, or just plain lose momentum/interest and drift off to other things. Just a thought.

Last edited:
Nick correct I will be experimenting just not doing the magnification experiments with scene width until the bug low period etc... I have a 1.4x teleconverter to play with plus the tubes so my personal testing won't stop.

I was just meaning that your experiment have been inspiring and shows lots of potential in not just 1:1 lenses equipment.

Last edited:
great little moth Tim. I tend not to use above f14 and looking through a lot of my older stuff f11 was about the norm for me. Diffraction is a concern for macro photography unfortunately but I'm happy playing the way I do ;)

Well found great shot of the little moth:)
very interesting about the diffraction effects ive read about it but never really looked into it
I just normally use a fairly wide aperture because I like an out of focus background

Back