Notice Influx of "Can you please do my Homework for Me" type posts...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBigYin

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
No
Hi Folks - last year at this point in the year we had a rather large influx of new members based in South Africa, all of which seemed to be asking slightly "stilted" questions - almost like they were asking a question that a college lecturer had posed to them. Turned out that was exactly what had happened, and that for some reason our forum had come up as being on the recommended resources list.
There followed a slightly unseemly situation where some of the more suspicious members were queueing up to have a pop at the new members for various reasons. It wasn't nice, and it wasn't really inkeeping with the friendly way we like to run this place. Eventually, we (management) explained to everyone that the forum isn't really just here to answer peoples homework questions, but, some of us would be happy to give pointers to do their own research. Things calmed down, and I'd like to think we actually helped some new students into a better knowledge of cameras and photography.

Why Am I posting this now... Well, yesterday, we had a few people join up and start asking the same kind of questions.

So, I'm asking guys - First of all, Please "PLAY NICE". If something looks "iffy" to you, just report it - we'd sooner get 20 RTM's about a thread, than 15 nasty comments being made to a newcomer that didn't realise that we're not just here to answer his/her easter holiday homework questions. Second, if any of staff have posted in the thread it means we're aware of it, and we're following it, and the thread will likely be a little more tightly moderated than a normal one - so if you DO act like a tool, it's more likely you that'll get a penalty, than the person innocently asking a question without realising we're not a free "homework mill". Third - how about actually answering, or giving some pointers to websites to let the person do their own research and actually learn something. Costs you nothing but a little time, and makes the world a better place.

While We realise (and deeply appreciate) that some of you are fiercely protective of this place, and don't like to see people "taking the mick" - and we don't want to discourage that in any way - equally, now you're hopefully aware of the potential influx we may get, you can reserve you're Ire for those more deserving (spammers, persons hawking fake id's and passports, counterfiet currencies and the like)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back