Infrared clip-in filter Vs conversion/

Name
Andrew
Edit My Images
Yes
I was thinking about getting an Infrared conversion done on a camera but discovered there are clip in filters available for my camera.
Does anyone know if the quality from the clip in filters is lower than a full conversion?
Cheers

Converted cameras you can hand hold like normal, unconverted you put a filter on the lens and the length of exposure you need a tripod, but atleast you still have a camera that can take normal colour shots

Converted cameras you can hand hold like normal, unconverted you put a filter on the lens and the length of exposure you need a tripod, but atleast you still have a camera that can take normal colour shots
Thanks, I was looking at the clip in filter that is available for most mirrorless cameras now so it's mounted in the body aperture behind the lens. probably still has the issues you say.

Those clip in filters are intended for converted cameras!
I have one for my converted A7ii that basically restores normal operations.

Using a IR filter (clip in or lens mounted) on a non converted camera will end up with long or VERY long exposures (a few more IR sensitive models can manage hand-holder shutter speeds, other cameras will need shutter speeds of many seconds)

Using a IR filter (clip in or lens mounted) on a non converted camera will end up with long or VERY long exposures (a few more IR sensitive models can manage hand-holder shutter speeds, other cameras will need shutter speeds of many seconds)

This - and you have to bear in mind the risks of trapping dust between sensor and filter or worse should you be a little clumsy about it. I wouldn't bother with clip ins personally.

This - and you have to bear in mind the risks of trapping dust between sensor and filter or worse should you be a little clumsy about it. I wouldn't bother with clip ins personally.
I don't think tapping dust is any more an issue than for simply changing lens. But certainly clumsiness causing a dropped filter is an issue (they are somewhat fiddly) They do have one big advantage a clip in filter works with all lenses, even those like many fish-eyes that can't take a filter in front of the lens.

Thanks for the input, I thought on a non converted camera it gave the IR effect?
Any Idea on how many stops it gives? I mainly do LE so longer shutter speeds aren't an issue for me.

Fair point but I'd look more on it keeping particles out especially on a beach in strong winds where I'm likely to be and changing lenses. I'd be less likely to change the filter in less than ideal conditions.

Thanks for the input, I thought on a non converted camera it gave the IR effect?
There's both types I believe... but understand that there is an IR blocking filter over the sensor of a non-converted sensor. So if you add a filter that blocks visible light as well; you're left with an extremely low level of transmission/sensitivity, which will require extremely long exposures.

Back