Innocents

Edit My Images
Yes
First of child candids/portraits taken at Winchester yesterday. Tokina 80-400mm used at 400mm. Parents seemed aware of what I was doing. Pray to God I have sharpened enough. I am giving both colour and mono as honestly, I do not know which work best.

1)
IMG_1690mf.jpg

2)
IMG_1631m.jpg

IMG_1631f.jpg

3)
IMG_1632mf.jpg

4)
IMG_1635mf.jpg

IMG_1635f.jpg

5)
IMG_1642mf.jpg

IMG_1642f.jpg

6)
IMG_1675mf.jpg

IMG_1675f.jpg

Last edited:
#2 for me Kate, both in mono and colour (y)

Is 6 a crop? It looks a bit oversharpened to me.. although it is early :D

Hopefully this thread won't descend into a "it's wrong to photograph kids thread"

6 is just slightly cropped, not much though.
I thought it was soft if anything actually, lol. Glad you like 2. The sunny weather helped ensure I could handhold with little trouble.

6 is just slightly cropped, not much though.
I thought it was soft if anything actually, lol. Glad you like 2. The sunny weather helped ensure I could handhold with little trouble.

It may not be oversharp, might just me my eyes & this screen.... see what other people think :)

Eh done my best, been up all night sorting through over 300 photos with another 300 still to go. Feel a bit bad I haven't bothered to frame them, but way too tired and probably not good enough to bother framing, lol. Few more.

IMG_1698f.jpg

IMG_1699f.jpg

IMG_1700f.jpg

IMG_1652mf.jpg

Last edited:
Eh, would love some more insight on these since child portraiture etc is an area that majorly interests me. Obviously, I was working outside, surrounded by people etc. I have more but am reluctant to post anymore if people consider these to be just snapshots etc

No 3 B&W for me (y)

Try to avoid the pushchairs! Dunno why but the IQ on the colour shots doesn't look great to me.

Iq? In what sense and what could cause the issue? Were taken with Canon 40D and in good, sunny conditions. Could I be doing something wrong when I am changing to jpeg and sharpening etc?

Like the story in number 4!

Last edited:
Could you post e.g. this one:
http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm18/SpiritFreePhotography/IMG_1700f.jpg
without any sharpening applied? I'd like to have a go and see if my technique is better than ordinary USM or sharpen filter.
The photos in #5 could use more space on the left and less on the right... this negative space there is now doesn't work very well for me.

EDIT: I don't think they're oversharpened, but that you've used a sharpening technique that's not very suitable if you need to sharpen a lot

Last edited:
Look too soft to me, as opposed to sharp. Oh well, another load of rubbish I turned out, nothing new there whatsoever.

No 3 looks good to me, nice and sharp girl, good dof. well done

They look blurry maybe, but still over sharperened. Don't sulk about it, learn from it

We are all our own worst critics but you are far too hard on yourself at times!

I like the colour picture of number 2 - looks like it's been super impossed.
I also like the T shirt the little girl is wearing too...(y)

#1 and #6 for me - black and white version. #3 would be brilliant if you could lose the pushchair in the background.

Last edited:
Back