Instagram hashtags changed?

Edit My Images
Yes
Firstly....I'm fully aware of how contentious social media is and "just take pictures for you" etc...I do take pictures for myself but also enjoy when other people like the images I post.

On topic - it seems lately its virtually impossible to get photos in front of new viewers even when using multiple hashtags...for example I now only ever get likes from followers and never really get new followers.

It used to be that I'd get alot of likes from "unknown" people and a few would follow me per image posted.

Has something changed with Instagrams algorithm?

Interaction on Instagram has gone way down as more and more they are going the same way as Facebook. If you want people to see your stuff you need to have a business account and pay to boost the post.

I did see online somewhere in the last few days that a key component now seems to be the amount of hashtags used and some people where advising no more than 11 and tagging the image instead of using hashtags, but have no idea if that works better or not.

I guess it depends on what your aim is. Instagram posts for our wedding photography business have always seemed like a waste of time in terms of grabbing people's attention and getting them to interact with us, visit our website, reach out to us etc. Likes don't mean a thing really. Instagram stories however we have found very useful in terms of generating traffic to our website and getting people to get in touch.

Firstly....I'm fully aware of how contentious social media is and "just take pictures for you" etc...I do take pictures for myself but also enjoy when other people like the images I post.

On topic - it seems lately its virtually impossible to get photos in front of new viewers even when using multiple hashtags...for example I now only ever get likes from followers and never really get new followers.

It used to be that I'd get alot of likes from "unknown" people and a few would follow me per image posted.

Has something changed with Instagrams algorithm?

just seen this.

https://petapixel.com/2019/10/01/why-your-instagram-isnt-growing/

It was another bait and switch. I never bothered with it and I am not sure I will now. Own websites are targets where people need to be directed and instagram makes it almost impossible without advertiser account.

I really hate it anyway. Mobile only uploads, and images appear way too small on my monitor.

It was another bait and switch. I never bothered with it and I am not sure I will now. Own websites are targets where people need to be directed and instagram makes it almost impossible without advertiser account.

I really hate it anyway. Mobile only uploads, and images appear way too small on my monitor.

That’s not true actually we get a lot of traffic from Instagram but it comes from Instagram stories rather than posts. You do need to have over 10k followers though to include links on Instagram stories.

I still get a lot of likes from non-followers but what I have seen is a dramatic decline in total likes. I’d regularly get 500+ for a post, now it’s 200+.

That’s not true actually we get a lot of traffic from Instagram but it comes from Instagram stories rather than posts. You do need to have over 10k followers though to include links on Instagram stories.

I tried to understand what stories mean but I feel like on a different planet there. I doesn't make any sense and probably is not meant to.

10k... You must be doing really well. I probably don't have 10 and frankly can't be bothered at all

10k? You got more followers than matt granger lol

[emoji23]

I honestly couldn't care less about insta numbers, they don't really mean anything.

The insta stories do help us a lot though as they generate a lot of traffic to our website.
Ok cool I will try create more stories and crap

I'm frustrated by lack of reach too. Not chasing 1000s of followers, but would be nice if more got to see my humble efforts.

Thing is, there are dozens and dozens of Instagrammers on this forum, so how about some co-operative action?

We could encourage everyone to:

* Use a unique hashtag - I suggest #talkphotography19 (until Jan 1, obv)
* Follow that hashtag
* Like everything you see tagged, and actively comment it you like it

Mutual engagement from fellow TPers is a win-win, I think?

I'm frustrated by lack of reach too. Not chasing 1000s of followers, but would be nice if more got to see my humble efforts.

Thing is, there are dozens and dozens of Instagrammers on this forum, so how about some co-operative action?

* Follow that hashtag

Let's do it

Ok. How about we wait until we have a few more interested then start a new thread to promote it?

(Forgot to say - #talkphotography is already used by some podcasters, hence adding 19 then 20 etc on the end)

* Follow that hashtag

It’s been done before many said they would take part only a couple did.

I did suggest before, but didn't really push it.

If we can get a pool of 20+ going I'm sure it will make a difference.

A lot of groups have hashtags to promote mutual engagement. TP already has an active community. Just need to leverage it for mutual benefit.

Back