intermittent metering fault on 20D..

whitewash

Fishy Fingers
Edit My Images
Yes
over the last month or so my camera has had a weird tendancy to incorrectly meter. it will just sit their at 30" shutterspeed blinking that their is not enough light, on the rare ocasions i can get the camera to meter properly, (usually by taking the battery out and the lens off and putting it all together again) then it gives me the correct exposure for the scene. but eventually will return to the faulty 20-30" shutterspeed which is blatently over exposing the image as it comes out pure white.
putting the camera into manual similar happens, where the needle constantly shows as underexposing for the scene, regardless of shutterspeed.

anyone heard of or suffered from similar on the 20D?

jamie

Just searched the yahoo 20D group and came up blank as did google.

What firmware is it on? (maybe update in case it is corrupted).... Is the little coin battery still OK (may be irrelevant?) ?.... err no idea.....

i was thinking of reflashing the firmware, ill give that a try

whwres the coin batery robert, worth giving it a try isnt it?

thanks

Dpreview didnt come up with anything in a search, id have presumed that that bunch of moaners would have mentioned it if it was a common fault

Oh and I did see a mention somewhere that it can hold the wrong exposure setting sometimes if you have changed the custom functions to split the exposure function away from the shutter button.

I'd check the battery, then reset the whole settings to default, just to be sure, like Robert says (re: the custom function).

lol @ the moaners comment :D

Failing that a reflash of the firmware (or indeed an update) might do the trick.
I can't say I've ever heard of such a problem before either.

Hope it 's not too long after the fact guys...

The coin battery (CR 2016) as far as I know ONLY stores date and time data in the camera dody's memory.

Have a good look at the custom function settings first before you redo the firmware .... I know I have had some fun when I thought I was being clever in the custom functions:bang: :bonk: :D

Had a look through my 20D's C fn's....

The only thing that I see there that could possibly IMHO have something to do with this problem could be Cfn 18....

Can anybody please help me though:thinking: :cautious:
What on earth is "Add original decision data":cautious: :bonk: :thinking:

Oh and yes O.K. I am too lazy to hunt for the manual....

Original decision data is a code generated when you take a picture so you can prove the photograph is an original and has not been modified or edited in any way. Turning it off only saves a few bytes of EXIF data so no idea why it is even an option.

Michael.

CFn 18 is there to add verification data to the image to determine it's authenticity - but only when used with the data verification kit.

I think a removal of the batteries (both) and a reset to factory settings is the first step. THen do firmware if needs be...

Are you sure the problem is with the body, and not the lens?

I would try different lenses to try and replicate the problem, before changing
the camera settings.

happened with my 50mm prime, it has happened with my 18-50mmf2.8 ad happened with my new sigma 70-300mm, all of which work fine on my eos5.

so its more likely to be the body:shake: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help:

I've a 20D and have never had a single problem of the sort you mention.
So if its not the coin battery, which seems unlikely, then you have got a bit of
a wobbly lemon on your hands

:thinking: - didnt censor that comment ^^^^^ :LOL:

Guys while we are on the 20D topic

I have recently had a few Err 01 messages on mine.....

Now if I remember correctly ( yes , again , too lazy to hunt for manual:shrug: ) Err 01 means lens and body not communicating properly right?

My 70-200 lives on the 20 and I wonder if this Err 01 could be caused by the weight of the lens as I frequently :)bonk: always) handle the thing by the body and don't always support the weight of the lens?:cautious:

Any opinions would be appreciated!!

It's highly possible Anton that you've sussed the possible cause. I always support the weight of heavy lenses mounted on the camera. I series cameras are built to take more strain around the lens throat, but it's still not something I'd take too many liberties with.

That's not to say it isn't some other problem of course. :shrug:

Back