Internal gubbins

Edit My Images
No
I don't know why I keep getting drawn to this old rusty thing every time I pass it. I'd be really impressed if anyone knows what it is. Clues: This is only part of the image and this is the internal gubbins - there used to be a door on it and there's a big round thing on the top.

internalgubbins2.jpg

Last edited:
I can see why you walk past this and think it has great photo potential. I don't think looking at the shot, the shot isn't anything great. I don't have any suggestions to improve it. B&W maybe, different light. The shot looks slightly soft, you may be better to use a tripod and higher f/stop than you've used here. As you get focus closer the depth of field get smaller, so you need to make it up some how.

it's a pump of some sort, probably for water or waste. I love old bits of industrial stuff (y)

I'd be really impressed if anyone knows what it is. Clues: This is only part of the image and this is the internal gubbins - there used to be a door on it and there's a big round thing on the top.

Can you post the full image? (Or do you want us to guess without seeing the rest of it :)).

The beam has several rods attached to it so I suspect it did more than just pump.

At the moment I think it could be anything from a piece of old fairground equipment to a quarry stone grader / crusher!

The circular item at the top is almost certainly a measurement dial. The name on the "dial", Pooley, possibly refers to "Henry Pooley & Son" who made measurement equipment in Birmingham around 1900.

The cyclinders below the beam suggests that the thing may have been used to measure water, perhaps in a railway yard to measure the amount of water delivered to a steam engine?

I've done a basic google, but I haven't found an exact match. A more lengthy search might reveal a bit more. I'll have another look later to see if I can find any more.

Like I said - looks like a weigh bridge scale, with the mechanism disappearing in to the ground. The two pistons will be dampers.

I think it looks like a scale, and they did manufacture weighbridge equipment.
I love to see old industrial stuff. It's a shame so much of it has been left to rot.

Well, I thought it was a a weighing scale but am wonder after Pentaprisn's suggestion of a waterpump as this sits on a derelict railway station where steam trains once frequented.

The cylinders aren't pumps. There are no inlets and outlets. They are dampers.

Water was usually gravity fed into steam trains, was it a scales for weighing rolling stock maybe?

I expect an answer when I get back from work.:D

Back