International Space Station

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi All,
I thought I would post a quick Fly-By today of the ISS.
Anyone can do it, this was taken with my EOS 350D on a tripod with a 400mm lens.
Go out there and have a go!
The ISS is about 250 miles away and travelling at 17,000 mph and is very bright so I needed speeds of about 1/1000 sec. You need to set your equipment up in advance of its arrival and be prepared to pan quite quickly.
ISS_3349.JPG

Oh very nice nooo amazing pic!

Wonder if my preset f/8 500mm mirror lens will do the job?

Steve

That is better than I have seen it through binoculars. I am much farther north than you.

travelling at 17,000 mph.. amazing panning lol ;)

Really is an ace capture. Nice one. :clap:

like that,nice capture,what were your settings and were you in complete darkness etc thanks,and when do you know if its near you or not and at what time cheers

Wow and double wow. Fantastic.

tried last night with my 150-500 with a 2 x tc,saw the station in live view set the shutter to 1000 but picture was just black with nothing on,can you tell me any settings you used as i cannot see the exif data thanks

Nice. I've tried many a time to capture ISS and always been unsuccessful. Seeing this makes me want to try again

tried last night with my 150-500 with a 2 x tc,saw the station in live view set the shutter to 1000 but picture was just black with nothing on,can you tell me any settings you used as i cannot see the exif data thanks

please

Hi iwols,
yes the settings I used were 1/1000 sec, iso800, f8, 400mm.
The ISS is reflecting sunlight so it is very bright cf Moon and I found slower speeds just showed a blur.
I may try 1/2000 sec next.
I also found it useful to aim ahead of the ISS and wait 'till it came into view to shoot.
Hope this is of help.

Could you post up a pic with the full exif intact?

Hi iwols,
yes the settings I used were 1/1000 sec, iso800, f8, 400mm.
The ISS is reflecting sunlight so it is very bright cf Moon and I found slower speeds just showed a blur.
I may try 1/2000 sec next.
I also found it useful to aim ahead of the ISS and wait 'till it came into view to shoot.
Hope this is of help.

Thanks for that

Hi u8myufo,
the exif data has not been stripped from the file and is available.
The reference photo is in my galleries and there is an option to view exif data there.
HTH.

Hi u8myufo,
the exif data has not been stripped from the file and is available.
The reference photo is in my galleries and there is an option to view exif data there.
HTH.

Cheers (y)

did you get the exif data

I did thanks, but as this is not a critique section I know all I need to know, I think ;)

Hi rich how did you get it because when I open the pic it says no exif data available cheers

Nice shot considering the difficulty. Hope you gave them a wave as they went overhead.;)

Hi rich how did you get it because when I open the pic it says no exif data available cheers

You will have to click on the Op`s name and view his gallery, then go to the picture and use whichever Exif viewer you use.

Wow, amazing. I've been trying the same thing but I've been struggling and this morning I asked for help.

I'll try again tonight, using the same settings as you.

@ mbscad - thanks so much for the inspiration, I never thought this possible but I just got this at a first attempt and I need to change my trousers! :)

400mm/f4 DO + Kenko DGX 1.4TC, EOS 7D, f/8, 1/2500, ISO800

iss2.jpg

Doh, I knew I could improve on that Tie Fighter so I went for the second pass and it clouded over suddenly. I'm now bitten by a new bug however and this one is intoxicating! Loving it :)

Back