TPer Emeritus
Name
See above
Edit My Images
No
has anyone tried this?

buy iphone (currently £160!)
unlock iphone
dont bother signing up to the contract (which you do online via itunes, but dont have to if you have unlocked the phone)

seems a bit too easy to me

true point BB,
BUT - you dont get free data, and even with data roaming turned off the iPhone still runs background apps that use the Edge/Wap - high bills here you come. You also run the risk of bricking your phone if it updates. So to summarize you will basically have a normal phone, and an ipod, without having visual voicemail, mobile internet (except for wifi) and so, to be honest you would probably be better off getting an ipod touch!

true point BB,
BUT - you dont get free data, and even with data roaming turned off the iPhone still runs background apps that use the Edge/Wap - high bills here you come. You also run the risk of bricking your phone if it updates. So to summarize you will basically have a normal phone, and an ipod, without having visual voicemail, mobile internet (except for wifi) and so, to be honest you would probably be better off getting an ipod touch!

exactly the informative response i was looking for
thanks for that

i just bought my missus an ipod touch for her birthday this weekend, so i think i'll give the iphone a miss anyway as it will kinda steal her thunder.

thanks again

Yeah, millions of people have tried it and there and hundreds of threads about how to do it and why. I would say though that you won't get the updates, it could turn into an expensive brick and you don't get unlimited data or visual voice mail.

Wasn't worth it IMHO, I just wanted a phone which worked and I honestly haven't stopped playing with it since I bought it on launch day.

Wasn't worth it IMHO, I just wanted a phone which worked and I honestly haven't stopped playing with it since I bought it on launch day.

Same here! definitely worth paying the £35 a month for it.

Same here! definitely worth paying the £35 a month for it.

Whilst the £35 a month contract isn't too bad, the cost of the phone initially just takes the biscuit. I know a fair number of people who have unlocked the phone and not had to worry about the excessive charges or any other problems. You can even update the phone for the latest firmware if you wish.

If your current mobile plan has a decent amount of data download in the contract then you won't be worrying. Also with the wifi on the iPhone you can reduce your data download over the network that way. I have to say, that the touch works very well over wifi and if the iPhone is the same, I might be interested in going for the phone when the update comes out later this year.

Whilst the £35 a month contract isn't too bad, the cost of the phone initially just takes the biscuit. I know a fair number of people who have unlocked the phone and not had to worry about the excessive charges or any other problems. You can even update the phone for the latest firmware if you wish.

If your current mobile plan has a decent amount of data download in the contract then you won't be worrying. Also with the wifi on the iPhone you can reduce your data download over the network that way. I have to say, that the touch works very well over wifi and if the iPhone is the same, I might be interested in going for the phone when the update comes out later this year.

The cost of the phone is coming down, I believe CPW have 100 quid off it at the moment.

You can't *easily* update the firmware, you have to restore to default, update the firmware then re-crack the phone. Something I couldn't be bothered with.

You also get unlimited Cloud WiFi access and when that 12-13 quid a day it's worth it for me. I use this service a lot.

Personally I just couldn't be bothered with the hassle of cracking the thing so I paid the money and use the phone to it's full potential with no hassle.

Is all that hassle really worth saving a few quid?

Back