iPhone or competitors?

Edit My Images
No
I was thinking of getting an iPhone or was wondering if using a competitor instrument is a better bet? :thinking: :thinking:

Advise & Suggestions please. :help:

I'm waiting for the Palm Pre. Can't wait to get that, or one of the Google Android phones. But Palm Pre looks so damn sexy. As does the Nokia N97. The iPhone is pretty nice and easy to use and there are some useful apps but everyone has one, especially when you work in the creative industry, so I'm looking for one of the alternatives too, and the Pre is definitely top of my list.

Incidentally, one of the lead developers for the new OS on the Palm Pre worked for the Apple team that developed the iPhone OS. So that's a good sign too.

i'm getting the nokia n97... it's a very nice mobile phone.

I'm considering the HTC Hero (aka T-Mobile G2) or the HTC Touch Diamond 2 (aka T-Mobile Compact V)

Both are due for release shortly. I can't get good O2 coverage at either home or work so an Iphone is out of the question as I can't be bothered buying one at some ridiculous amount and then jailbreaking and unlocking it.

The new i-phone 3gs is an absolute dream to use touch screen experience wise but it is not quite as powerful as some other new smart phones. The new nokia n97 is a very powerful tool, application and widget wise but the touch screen just doesn't match the i-phone for scrolling etc. it does have a higher screen resolution though which is a bonus. There are also the top of the line htc smart phones which have the highest screen resolutions in class.

The new o-led screened smart phones will be the ones to beat for colour and resolution but are in my opinion have not really matured to show their full potential.

I have chosen to go with the Nokia N97 as it has, IMHO, the best balance of each of these functions and abilities..

Had an N97 a few days and still getting to grips with it... it's a lotta phone!

Had an N97 a few days and still getting to grips with it... it's a lotta phone!

One thing I'm not sure about which you can maybe clear up is are the widgets on the home page live? ie are they connected to the internet at all times or do they just update every now and then?:thinking:

One thing I'm not sure about which you can maybe clear up is are the widgets on the home page live? ie are they connected to the internet at all times or do they just update every now and then?:thinking:

LOL. That's a very good question, I think it's just the latter - you actually have to touch them to connect but they can receive update info. The live video streaming is fantastic.

Have a play around with a few if you know people who have them. Some people love the iPhone, some hate it, personally I think it's a superb phone for some one who does not get on well with technology (but then would you spend that much on a phone for some one like that), but at the same time it leaves me cold.

Depends also what you want out of a phone. If it's music, then the iPod Touch part out of the iPhone is probably the best music interface out there, but if you are in to sound quality (I have no real ear for music so this point is moot for me), then looking at the forums, it's the SE phones you really want to go for.

For me I'm a very heavy PDA user so the iPhone just does not offer the functionality I require - plus I like having a real keyboard and don't like the iPhone virtual one (which I have no problems using), so my choice is rather limiting, but for my requirements the HTC Touch pro was by far the best option (with TouchFlo 3D disabled as I hate that), but that's my prefences - yours will probably be different (y)

iphone - hands down, perfect for browsing, email and ipod, loads of apps too.

Would quite like an iPhone (love my iTouch). But I'm probably getting an N97 as I've got some software for my N95 that I couldn't live without - Viewranger.

After many months of deliberation I've just swapped from a windows mobile based HTC to a BlackBerry Curve.

I have to say I am very impressed so far, everything is quick, responsive, and browsing is pretty damn perfect. This is from a man who swore he would "never have one of them as they are for pompous business types". :)

Definitely worth a look.

After many months of deliberation I've just swapped from a windows mobile based HTC to a BlackBerry Curve.

I have to say I am very impressed so far, everything is quick, responsive, and browsing is pretty damn perfect. This is from a man who swore he would "never have one of them as they are for pompous business types". :)

Definitely worth a look.

Actually, Jan has a Blackbrerry Bold and I find it pretty impressive, I reckon I could quite easily get used to one.

Google G1 is excellent... so I would imagine it's successors will be even better

picking a phone has become a right nightmare with the current batch of offerings. Between them all, there is the perfect device out there but no one machine has got it just how I want it.

The Ericsson Satio looks like it might be good combo. Too many pixies in the camera, as always but the functions overall look good. But by the time that one comes out, there'll be another crop to add to the confusion. :LOL:

If you can, wait for the Palm Pre and see if that floats your boat. That's what I was going to do until my old phone packed in and I had to get a new one as I found it very difficult using old phones with no internet or email access.

I ended up going for the iPhone 3GS. I *hate* the fact I've bought one as all the cool kids have them and I generally don't like to follow the herd. It is, however, a very nice device. Way more speedy than the 3G, decent enough battery life (unless you're browsing the interweb constantly) and most of the apps are handy and reliable.

Palm have shot themselves in the foot bigtime with the release of the Pre, though. Not having it ready for European release by the time the iPhone 3GS was announced lost them a lot of potential sales (mine included, unfortunately). They still haven't released the SDK to the public yet either, so their app store is very, very bleak. The iPhone is lightyears ahead in terms of bedding in and getting good Developer backing.

George.

picking a phone has become a right nightmare with the current batch of offerings. Between them all, there is the perfect device out there but no one machine has got it just how I want it.

Well I had the misfortune of losing my Nokia N95 8 gig (with 10 months to run on the contract) - well sorted phone, and the best one I've had without a doubt, so the N97 was the logical one for me. I've gone sim- free though, so I could have gone anywhere, and I've waded through all the reviews of the alternatives, which was worse than camera reviews with the widely differing reviewers opinions and bias from some of them.

No doubt though, there's some wonderful phones out there.

LOL. That's a very good question, I think it's just the latter - you actually have to touch them to connect but they can receive update info. The live video streaming is fantastic.

They can be set to either stay 'live' or ask you to connect.

I've had my N97 for a couple of weeks and this was one of the first things I sorted out :)

It's a nice phone and they've released a firmware update for it (it was a bit buggy to begin with)

Thanks for that. I got the latest upgrade and apparently there's going to be another fairly rapido. Early days I suppose, but i'm really chuffed with it. The only problem is I'm in danger of going from a non - texter to being a full blown text monster. :D

No probs :)

One of the good things about it is that it can also play your iTunes tracks (even ones bought from the iTunes store)

Unfortunately there's no app at the moment to synch iTunes with your N97 (there is one available for the Mac though)

iPhones have great features and apps.

But my blackberry curve 8900 is a great phone and has great email functions. I think the iPhone is a better device, but a blackberry as a phone.

After all, all I use it for is voice/text/email.

Picking a phone is such a difficult thing nowadays, there is not one out there that does everything well.

I work for a mobile phone company so have the benefit of being able to try most of the new phones out there, I tend to have 3 or 4 devices which I switch between depending upon what I am doing. I love my BlackBerry for mobile email, the physical keyboard is great for typing. For web browsing though, the iphone wins hands down.

I have just gone with the iPhone 3GS and it is AMAZING! Now the 3.0 software is out and the S' speed then its now good enough as a phone.

I was a Blackberry user and loved my Blackberry as it was perfect for emails both work and personal but the iPhone is just as good if not better!

I did miss the keyboard but now I have used the virtual one on the iPhone for a week it is very quick and easy to use. If it is a bit small for you then just turn the iPhone on its side and it goes Landscape and bigger.

Browsing the internet is great. Using two fingers like on new Macs then you can zoom in to read small text and it quick enough on 3G or as good as a PC when you are using the Wi-Fi.

Some apps I cannot now live without and everything it does it does with style and everything works so smoothly.

I am a complete convert now and couldn't go back to a Blackberry as it would simple to lacking in the media/fun stuff.

:woot:

Back